RE: SORT_AREA_SIZE question

From: Regis Biassala <Regis.Biassala_at_datalex.ie>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 10:36:35 -0700

Some consideration too:
db_block_size > 8K (this has to be set
when the database was created)

You need to have this setup
to:
<SPAN
class=360254814-25062003>db_file_multiblock_read_count     (as I high as Possible)
bitmap_merge_area_size
create_bitmap_area_size
hash_area_size
sort_area_size

Your temporary tablespace: initial = next = multiple of sort_area_size (i.e: 2* 100MB if your sort_area_size is 100 MB)
<SPAN
class=360254814-25062003>
<SPAN
class=360254814-25062003>Regis

  -----Original
  Message-----From: Bart Kersteter
  [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]Sent: Wednesday, June 25, 2003   3:39 PMTo: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-LSubject:   SORT_AREA_SIZE question
  Hello,

  I joined this list last week, so I apologize in advance if I'm asking a   question that has previously been answered.

  I am responsible for a reporting database/data mart that is approximately   175 GB.  Our main fact table ranges from 1-14 GB depending upon how far   along we are into our financial year.  I have large reports that run full   table scans on this table daily.  In an effort to keep as much of the   sorting in memory as possible I have specified SORT_AREA_SIZE to be   100MB.  Some of the tuning books I am reading now are making me   second-guess myself and I am wondering if this is overkill.

  Can anyone provide some advice on how large they are setting their   SORT_AREA_SIZE values for their DSS systems?

  Thanks in advance,

  Bart

  Please NoteThe
  information in this E-mail message is legally privilegedand confidential   information intended only for the use of theindividual(s) named above. If   you, the reader of this message,are not the intended recipient, you are   hereby notified that you should not further disseminate, distribute, or   forward thisE-mail message. If you have received this E-mail in   error,please notify the sender. Thank you

This electronic transmission is strictly confidential and intended solely

for the addressee. It may contain information which is covered by legal,

professional or other privilege. If you are not the intended addressee,

you must not disclose, copy or take any action in reliance of this

transmission. If you have received this transmission in error,

please notify the sender as soon as possible.

This footnote also confirms that this message has been swept

for computer viruses.