RE: Dynamic SQL: where do you draw the line?

From: Freeman Robert - IL <FREEMANR_at_tusc.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 10:34:32 -0700

I'm not sure why it's that much harder to use the USING clause of execute immediate and use bind variables. Seems much easier to read, first of all, and the impact it might have on the library cache would be most positive. Sure, we are talking perhaps the difference between .02 and 1 seconds, but that can add up over multipule executions.

See if you can determine the number of executions for this code, and the average parse time. Then rewrite it to use bind variables and run some tests to get a good average parse time for that bit of code, multipuly by executions and you have quantified the overall performance impact on that bit of code.

Of course, that dosen't begin to quantify the impact of reducing the hash chaining that is probably happening in your shared pool that would occur as a result of using bind variables.

RF

Author: Thomas Jeff
  INET: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing).

Author: Freeman Robert - IL
  INET: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Wed Jun 25 2003 - 12:34:32 CDT