Re: SORT_AREA_SIZE question

From: Darrell Landrum <DLANDRUM_at_zalecorp.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 10:33:15 -0700

Hey Bart,

You'll probably get a lot of responses from this, but my little piece of input starts with a question...
Is this database a 9i version? If so, do some research on pga_aggregate_target. It lets Oracle do some of that *_area_size guess work for you.

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 06/25/03 09:39AM >>>
Hello,

I joined this list last week, so I apologize in advance if I'm asking a question that has previously been answered.

I am responsible for a reporting database/data mart that is approximately 175 GB. Our main fact table ranges from 1-14 GB depending upon how far along we are into our financial year. I have large reports that run full table scans on this table daily. In an effort to keep as much of the sorting in memory as possible I have specified SORT_AREA_SIZE to be 100MB. Some of the tuning books I am reading now are making me second-guess myself and I am wondering if this is overkill.

Can anyone provide some advice on how large they are setting their SORT_AREA_SIZE values for their DSS systems?

Thanks in advance,

Bart

                        Please Note

The information in this E-mail message is legally privileged and confidential information intended only for the use of the individual(s) named above. If you, the reader of this message, are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you should not further disseminate, distribute, or forward this E-mail message. If you have received this E-mail in error, please notify the sender. Thank you
                NOTICE BY ZALE CORPORATION

This message, as well as any attached document, contains information from Zale Corporation that is proprietary, confidential and/or privileged. The information is intended only for the use of the addressee named above. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or the taking of any action in reliance on the contents of this message or its attachments is strictly prohibited, and may be unlawful. If you have received this message in error, please delete all electronic copies of this message and its attachments, if any, destroy any hard copies you may have created, without disclosing the contents, and notify the sender immediately. Unintended transmission does not constitute waiver of any privilege.

Unless expressly stated otherwise, nothing contained in this message should be construed as a digital or electronic signature, nor is it intended to reflect an intention to make an agreement by electronic means.

Author: Darrell Landrum
  INET: [EMAIL PROTECTED]