RE: SORT_AREA_SIZE question

From: Nigel Bishop <Nigel.Bishop_at_ioko.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 08:31:09 -0700

Bart

Each user which connects to the DB will consume that amount of RAM on top of any memory used by the application.  A lot depends on how much memory your server has i.e. 10 users will use at least 1Gb of RAM.  It could induce swapping which is a killer.
Our DSS systems use 20Mb for sort area mind you we have 18Gb temp tablespace

Regards

Nigel BishopSnr. Oracle DBAiokoTel DDI:  +44 (0) 1904 435 458Mobile:   +44 (0) 7881 624
386Fax:      +44 (0) 1904 435
450Email:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
www.ioko.com

  -----Original
  Message-----From: Bart Kersteter
  [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Sent: 25 June 2003   15:39To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-LSubject:   SORT_AREA_SIZE question
  Hello,

  I joined this list last week, so I apologize in advance if I'm asking a   question that has previously been answered.

  I am responsible for a reporting database/data mart that is approximately   175 GB.  Our main fact table ranges from 1-14 GB depending upon how far   along we are into our financial year.  I have large reports that run full   table scans on this table daily.  In an effort to keep as much of the   sorting in memory as possible I have specified SORT_AREA_SIZE to be   100MB.  Some of the tuning books I am reading now are making me   second-guess myself and I am wondering if this is overkill.

  Can anyone provide some advice on how large they are setting their   SORT_AREA_SIZE values for their DSS systems?

  Thanks in advance,

  Bart

  Please NoteThe
  information in this E-mail message is legally privilegedand confidential   information intended only for the use of theindividual(s) named above. If   you, the reader of this message,are not the intended recipient, you are   hereby notified that you should not further disseminate, distribute, or   forward thisE-mail message. If you have received this E-mail in   error,please notify the sender. Thank you          Received on Wed Jun 25 2003 - 10:31:09 CDT