RE: Oracle 9.2 RAC on Win2K?

From: Branimir Petrovic <BranimirP_at_cpas.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 08:20:34 -0700

This requirement is dictated by a prospect of ours, and since they say Win2K and IIS (there is a web part to this job) is a MUST, a must it is indeed. No matter how silly or plain wrong such a choice might be.

In my opinion the task in question (database up to a TB in size) accessed via few thousand concurrent sessions that must be up and running in 7x24 mode with exactly 0 down time allowed, fault tolerant and load balanced is clearly way-way above capabilities of today's Windoze platform (but give'em another 20 years or so of slack and may be they'll get there?) I also believe that trying to pull or force such a thing using Windows is comparable to a pitiful task of trying to empty the swimming pool using just a hand and spoon combo, but what do I know...

> Let me suggest a little benchmark: 4 clustered, beefed up PC
> boxes vs. a single, 16-CPU IBM P690 with the latest "960" CPUs
> and AIX 5.2. You can benchmark price and performance. I'd be
> very intrigued to find out the outcome. It is very hard to
> predict it properly (wink, wink).

There is (and always will be) a proper tool for a proper job. Tested proven and true.

Mladen, thanks a lot for your input, I REALLY appreciate it!

Branimir

Author: Branimir Petrovic
  INET: [EMAIL PROTECTED]