Oracle 9.2 RAC on Win2K?

From: Branimir Petrovic <BranimirP_at_cpas.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 19:45:29 -0700

I need help with clearing up one conceptual issue:

My understanding is that with Oracle RAC one set of physical database files "sitting" in the "middle" - shared storage are being accessed by multiple Oracle instances running on multiple physical servers (nodes). All instances "attacking" (sharing) the very same set of data files at the same time. Right or wrong?

Provided the answer on the above question happens to be "yes" - I'd like to ask List Folks how feasible is to assemble and successfully (smoothly?) run 0.5-1 TB database, use Oracle RAC and high performance shared storage
(say SAN) served ("pumped") by a number of Windows 2K servers?

The "number" of Win2K servers I have on mind is at least 4 "beefy" (as beefy as it gets in Windows wrld) Win2K "boxes" each running Win2K AS with lots of RAM and at least 4 CPUs, with perspective of adding more later.

It would be nice (for me) to know if new nodes can be added to the cluster at any later time to improve performance (in order to deal with increase in usage or to accomodate growth over period of time).

It would be very nice to know if number of nodes is or is not limited
(otherwise than by raw I/O capabilities of the shared storage).

Has anyone seen/run/stumbled over similar beast, if so - does it "fly" or it "stinks"?

Thanks (for any help, hints, links, etc.),

Branimir

P.S.

I've looked at number of metalink articles and found none yet to "scratch" this specific "itch" of mine.

Oracle RAC on Win2K is for some bizarre reason REQUIREMENT.

Author: Branimir Petrovic
  INET: [EMAIL PROTECTED]