Re: oracle authentication from windows

From: <Reginald.W.Bailey_at_jpmorgan.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2003 06:24:24 -0700

Try authenticating with the domain\userid. When you create the user account in the database, use the domain\userid. Set SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES = (NTS) in the sqlnet.ora file. Check out MetaLink note 60634.1 on how to set up domain authenticated users. Also set the registry entry OSAUTH_PREFIX_DOMAIN and create userids in the form of OPS$<domain>\<user> . For users on the local server, their domain would be the local server. All others domains would be their actual NT domain. Check out the MetaLink document for more details.

RWB

Reginald W. Bailey
IBM Global Services - ETS SW GDSD - Database Management Your Friendly Neighborhood DBA
713-216-7703 (Office) 281-798-5474 (Mobile) 713-415-5410 (Pager)

                    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

                    dia.net.in               To:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]

                    Sent by:                 cc:

                    [EMAIL PROTECTED]       Subject:     Re: oracle authentication
from windows
                    com

                    06/21/2003 08:49

                    PM

                    Please respond to

                    ORACLE-L

Thank you very much Arup , very lucid and detailed explanation. In the last point you said :
:3) If remote_os_authent is false, but the database has a user
OPS$BULBUL
: identified externally; a user named bulbul on the _server_ can login
as
: "sqlplus /", but a user named BULBUL on a remote machine will not be
able
: to.

That is the problem , as I said I am not able to log in even the database server's operating system users ( who are identified externally ) unless I set remote_os_authent= true ; But then as you said any remote client could authenticate the externally identified user in whatever means, and then they could log in. I mean create user scott identified externally; grant create session to scott ;
If on the client machine there is an operating system user called scott, then he can log in to the scott schema. Any ideas how to restrict the externally identified users so that they have to log in to the database server to access their oracle schemas.?

Another doubt is from what you said about sqlnet_authentication_services :
: You are using (none) because you do not want to rely on the
authentication
: service provided by others.
:

So this means that the database will not recognise the authentication done by some other means ( like the white house guards refusing to recognize the authentication provided by the people on the hill). Then how will someone log in if he is identified externally ?

Once again thanks for the excellent response, thanks for taking time out to explain the physical significance of these parameters in a very nice way.

: (2) remote_os_authent means the user is authenticated in whatever
manner in
: the _client_ operating system, not the server. The user may have no
account
: with the server.
:
: (3) If remote_os_authent is false, but the database has a user
OPS$BULBUL
: identified externally; a user named bulbul on the _server_ can login
as
: "sqlplus /", but a user named BULBUL on a remote machine will not be
able
: to.
:
: Hope this helps.