Re: RAC vs. OPS a comparison

From: Mladen Gogala <mgogala_at_adelphia.net>
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2003 21:13:31 -0700

Well, the greatest novelty in RAC is synchronizing blocks without write to disk. Here is it how it works:

OPS:

  1. Instance A requests instance B to downgrade its (PCM) lock for block C from X --> N. 2) Instance B writes block C to disk and downgrades lock to N. 3) Instance A reads block C into its own SGA and upgrades lock from N --> X RAC:
    1. Instance A requests instance B to downgrade its (PCM) lock for block C from X --> N.
    2. Instance B sends the current version of block C through the interconnect to the instance A and downgrades the lock from X --> N.
    3. Instance A puts the received block into its own SGA and upgrades the lock from N --> X. Also, RAC can deliver a read consistent version of a block, but OPS in 8.1.7 can do that too (BSP process). This was sold as "cache fusion". With the advent of ultrafast interconnects such as HP hyperfabric (4GB/sec), it became much faster to develop a mechanism for sending a block down the pipe instead of writing it to disk and reading it from disk. Also, with the ultrafast CPUs with the usual usage not surpassing 10%, it became acceptable to use releasable locks which require a great deal of string copying and hash searching, both fairly CPU intensive operations. Hashed (static) locks, covering a fixed range of blocks, were much cheaper in CPU terms but the false pinging was just killing the OPS, especially after new files have been added.. RAC is much, much faster. Nevertheless, I'd advise functional partitioning of the application system on both RAC and OPS so that related data is accessed from the same node, thus minimizing DML overhead. Oh yeah, I forgot, it's no longer just "DML", it "IDML" now ("I" stands for "Integrated").

On 2003.06.22 23:34, "Kaing, Leng" wrote: Hi,

I don't remember seeing any doco as such, but you need to look at what's new in RAC and compare it to OPS. eg. No pinging on read and write, easier admin. etc. Can't remember off the top of my head. Rgs,

Leng.

 From: "VIVEK_SHARMA" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2003 11:16:31 +0530
 Subject: RAC vs. OPS a comparison ?
RAC vs. OPS any comparison study , doc , link ?

Need it for customer already on OPS , who is considering moving to RAC

Thanks

Leng Kaing
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Phone: +61-3-9203-7589
Mobile: +61-417-371-348

Author: Kaing, Leng
  INET: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

to: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing).
--

Mladen Gogala
Oracle DBA

Author: Mladen Gogala
 INET: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

to: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Sun Jun 22 2003 - 23:13:31 CDT