Re: oracle authentication from windows

From: <bulbultyagi_at_now-india.net.in>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2003 22:37:53 -0700

Arup , the procedure you gave is correct and works fine. I tried it out on win32 with 9.2.0.1.0.
But I had to set SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES= (none) in sqlnet.ora My fundamentals are really weak , so please forgive the stupid questions : These steps create a database user who will be authenticated by the operating system , right ? I assume that the authenticating os is the one which runs the database and not the os running on the remote client machine . If yes , then this would mean that all these externally identified users would have to somehow log onto the os of the database server.

However why does this procedure work only when remote_os_authent=true ?
I had posted this same question a while ago , did not get any satisfactory answers , though people told me that remote_os_authent=true is a security problem.

But it doesn't seem to work without that. Any ideas of enabling "sqlplus /" without remote_os_authent=true ? Wouldn't remote_os_authent=true allow remote client machines to authenticate their users which can then log in to the database as long as they know the name of the externally authenticated username and value of os_authent_prefix

Sure.

Just declare these in your init.ora

os_authent_prefix=OPS$
remote_os_authent=TRUE

bounce the database, add a user called OPS$<the Windows username>, e.g. OPS$AK if your Windows login id is AK as

create user ops$ak identified externally

>From windows connect as "/@servicename", e.g. sqlplus /@service1

If it doesn't work, the OS user may be different. Use this query while connected to the database from Windows cleint.

SQL> select sys_context('USERENV','OS_USER') from dual;

See what OS username comes up; use that instead.

HTH. Arup Nanda
www.proligence.com

  We want our client users ( forms user ) to just enter windows password and then automatically able to get in to oracle .Is there a way oracle can authenticate from windows ( or active directory ) . enbadding password in runform.exe not an option .

  thanks,
  -ak

Author: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
  INET: [EMAIL PROTECTED]