Re: controlfile backup obsolete

From: <bulbultyagi_at_now-india.net.in>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2003 10:01:42 -0700

Mladen , I do not get a problem if I use : configure retention policy to redundancy n ; (n=> integer)
However I am having my controlfile backup reported as obsolete when : configure retention policy to recovery window of n days ; (n=>integer , I use 4) and my control_file_record_keep_time=7

Please advise

: Obsolescence of a backup is defined by existance of other, redundant
backups.
: Give a "redundant" option to your backup command and RMAN will wait
for 30
: backups before declaring the current one obsolete.
:
: On 2003.06.19 22:09, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
: > Hello List, sorry about posting this again but , no one responded
and
: > I am really stuck
: > I am using Oracle 9i release 2 enterprise edition on win32
: >
: > After connecting thru rman , I made sure that I did not have any
: > backupsets by running
: > delete backup ;
: > and then checked with list backup ;
: >
: > I have set a recovery window of 4 days with :
: > CONFIGURE RETENTION POLICY TO RECOVERY WINDOW OF 4 DAYS;
: >
: > And enabled autobackup of controlfiles and spfiles :
: > CONFIGURE CONTROLFILE AUTOBACKUP ON;
: > CONFIGURE CONTROLFILE AUTOBACKUP FORMAT FOR DEVICE TYPE DISK TO
: > 'D:\%F';
: >
: > Then I created a backup of the entire database :
: > backup database ;
: > (This created a separate backup piece :
D:\C-2202427048-20030619-05)
: >
: > This is the only backup of the control file I have. I checked
with
: > RMAN> LIST BACKUP OF CONTROLFILE;
: >
: > List of Backup Sets
: > ===================
: >
: > BS Key Type LV Size Device Type Elapsed Time Completion
Time
: >
:

--

: > --
: > 60 Full 672K DISK 00:00:02 19-Jun-2003
08:04:
: > 42
: > BP Key: 60 Status: AVAILABLE Tag:
: > Piece Name: D:\C-2202427048-20030619-05
: > Controlfile Included: Ckp SCN: 190854 Ckp time:
19-Jun-2003
: > 08:04:40
: >
: > Now when I run report obsolete ;
: > Its gives me the following o/p
: >
: > RMAN retention policy will be applied to the command
: > RMAN retention policy is set to recovery window of 4 days
: > Report of obsolete backups and copies
: > Type Key Completion Time Filename/Handle
:
> -------------------- ------ ------------------ --------------------
: > Backup Set 60 19-Jun-2003 08:04:42
: > Backup Piece 60 19-Jun-2003 08:04:42
: > D:\C-2202427048-20030619-05
: >
: > Why is this sole backup of the controlfile , obsolete ?
: > If someone runs a delete obselete; they will delete this backup.
: >
: > --
: > Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ: http://www.orafaq.net
: > --
: > Author: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
: > INET: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
: >
: > Fat City Network Services -- 858-538-5051
http://www.fatcity.com
: > San Diego, California -- Mailing list and web hosting
services
:
may
: > also send the HELP command for other information (like
subscribing).
: >
:
: --
: Mladen Gogala
: Oracle DBA
: --
: Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ: http://www.orafaq.net
: --
: Author: Mladen Gogala
: INET: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
:
: Fat City Network Services -- 858-538-5051 http://www.fatcity.com
: San Diego, California -- Mailing list and web hosting
services
-
: To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message
: to: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in
: the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L
: (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may
-- Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ: http://www.orafaq.net -- Author: <[EMAIL PROTECTED] INET: [EMAIL PROTECTED] Fat City Network Services -- 858-538-5051 http://www.fatcity.com San Diego, California -- Mailing list and web hosting services --------------------------------------------------------------------- To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing).