Re: ORA-01555 with Automatic Undo Management mode

From: Thomas Day <tday6_at_csc.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2003 08:16:24 -0700

I looked through metalink (doc 40689.1) and I don't see how the delayed block cleanout scenario could happen (in my case) given that there was only one transaction running.

I'm still stuck with that last 4g block that was allocated with only 3G of free space remaining. Also, that filespace was not autoextensible.

SQL> select * from dba_data_files where tablespace_name = 'UNDOTBS1';

FILE_NAME

   FILE_ID TABLESPACE_NAME                           BYTES     BLOCKS
STATUS RELATIVE_FNO AUT MAXBYTES MAXBLOCKS INCREMENT_BY
---------- ------------------------------ ---------------- ----------
--------- ------------ --- ---------- ---------- ------------ USER_BYTES USER_BLOCKS
---------- -----------
D:\ORACLE92\ORADATA\EID9SNP\UNDOTBS01.DBF
         2 UNDOTBS1                            209,715,200      25600
AVAILABLE            2 YES 3.4360E+10    4194302          640
 209649664       25592

D:\ORACLE92\ORADATA\EID9SNP\UNDOTBS02.DBF
        25 UNDOTBS1                          7,340,032,000     896000
AVAILABLE           25 NO           0          0            0
7339966464      895992

SQL> select tablespace_name, initial_extent, next_extent, status, extent_management, allocation_type, segment_space_management   2 from dba_tablespaces where tablespace_name = 'UNDOTBS1';

TABLESPACE_NAME                INITIAL_EXTENT NEXT_EXTENT STATUS
EXTENT_MAN ALLOCATIO SEGMEN
------------------------------ -------------- ----------- ---------
---------- --------- ------
UNDOTBS1                                65536             ONLINE    LOCAL
SYSTEM MANUAL The snapshot built just fine (7G in 9.5 hrs) using rollback segments - RBS_LARGE below.

Map of Tablespace rbs2

                                       File
OWNER      OBJECT                      Id     BLOCK_ID     BLOCKS
BYTES
---------- --------------------------- ---- ---------- ----------

----------------
SYS RBS_LARGE 24 9 25600 209,715,200 SYS RBS_LARGE 24 25609 25600 209,715,200 SYS RBS_LARGE 24 51209 25600 209,715,200 SYS RBS_LARGE 24 76809 25600 209,715,200 SYS RBS_LARGE 24 102409 25600 209,715,200 SYS RBS_LARGE 24 128009 25600 209,715,200 SYS RB3 24 153609 25600 209,715,200 SYS RB3 24 179209 25600
209,715,200

You can't argue with success and we're out of time so automatic undo bites (bytes) the dust on this database. I haven't given up on it, I just don't have enough time to make it work here.

                      "Darrell

                      Landrum"                 To:      Multiple recipients of list
ORACLE-L <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
                      <dlandrum                cc:

                      @zalecorp.com>           Subject: Re: ORA-01555  with Automatic
Undo Management mode
                      Sent by:

                      ml-errors

                      06/19/2003 08:44

                      AM

                      Please respond

                      to ORACLE-L

>>Are you certain that the 1555 was caused by extent stealing?

Nope, not certain at all.

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 06/18/03 09:54PM >>> Darrell,

    The space management algorithm is such that free extent acquisition

is the second method for undo allocation. The first is claiming expired

extents from the current segment. With a low retention setting, this is

entirely possible. Are you certain that the 1555 was caused by extent stealing?

    What I was trying to say is that a segment will extend by grabbing

free (unallocated) extents before it allocates extents from other segments (stealing). If the mview creation is a single transaction, it

is likely that the extents in the large undo segment are all still active and cannot be reused, no matter what (active undo is NEVER overwritten).

--
Daniel W. Fink
http://www.optimaldba.com

Darrell Landrum wrote:

>>>That all being said, the fact that there is free space in the
>>>

>tablespace implies that the 1555 is not due to an extent being
>overwritten. Oracle should grab free space before it grabs other
>extents, even expired ones. <<
>
>Daniel,
>Are you saying this correctly?  The reason I ask, is I've seen a 1555
>error in a system with one job running, only 480 MBs of undo space
used,
>10 minute retention setting, and an undo tablespace of 12 GB.  It
>doesn't seem that Oracle grabbed an extent from free space before
using
>an expired one.  (Retention setting is now much, much higher.  Got to
>watch those hours to seconds conversions.)

>Thomas,
>            How long ago was the data for the mview loaded? It is possible
>that you are running into the scenario where delayed block cleanout
is
>causing the ORA-1555. Is the name of the undo segment in the error
the
>same as the large undo extent? I would suspect that they are
different.

>            I have not tested mviews as transactions, but I presume oracle
>considers it as one large transaction. This would prevent it from
>acquiring new undo segments, which makes sense as there is one
segment
>that is very large in respect to all the others. There are only 88
>segments in the tablespace, both offline and online, not 88 online?
>Assuming the 88 segments have been shrunk to minimum (128k), they
will
>consume only 10meg. With the numbers you quote, this sounds like the
>case.
>
>            SMON awakes periodically to offline undo segments and it may
>have offlined a segment that was needed by the transaction (it just
did
>not know that at the time). SMON should not offline a segment if the
>retention time has not been met, but I don't know this for a fact.
There

Author: Darrell Landrum
  INET: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). -- Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ: http://www.orafaq.net -- Author: Thomas Day INET: [EMAIL PROTECTED] Fat City Network Services -- 858-538-5051 http://www.fatcity.com San Diego, California -- Mailing list and web hosting services