Re: Upgrade gotchas - 8.1.7.4->9.2.0.3 on Windows

From: Ed Lewis <eglewis_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2003 07:11:11 -0700

Lisa,
    Just a follow-up question.

I've set the ORA_SID_PFILE parameter in the
registry, but do not <FONT face=Arial
size=2>use a password file.
When I start up the database <FONT
face=Arial size=2>it looks for the
PFILE in the default directory instead of the path
specified in the registry. So, I'm required to
provide the  "pfile= " in my startup command, or
place the "pfile" in the default
directory.

From what I understand, the value of
ORA_SID_PFILE
in the registry will be used at database startup
automatically, so the "pfile = " parameter is
not required.<FONT face=Arial
size=2> Is this correct ?

I've checked metalink, but have been
unsuccessful
in finding a solution.

        thanks.

        ed

<BLOCKQUOTE

  Sent: Wednesday, June 18, 2003 12:40
  PM
  Subject: Upgrade gotchas -
  8.1.7.4->9.2.0.3 on Windows

  Thought I'd let you know since a couple of people   are planning upgrades to 9.2 on Windows (that I've heard from) - here's the   gotchas I ran into with my upgrade.  The databases were fine but other   stuff broke, of course.
  After upgrading, there's crap left in the registry   that refers to the older version of Oracle.  Backup Exec doesn't like   that.  I had to delete the old oracle_home out of the registry and   reboot. Suddenly all my backups were working.  Of course I only run one   oracle_home so I was able to remove this entry without consequence.   Also, the install doesn't set the right path for   SQLPATH:  it sets it to a unix directory, \dbs.  Once I changed it   to OH\bin, my perl scripts were able to connect to sqlplus. They were failing   before...
  It also doesn't set ORA_sid_PWFILE at all.    This value needs to be there and be correct if you want to run startup without   specifying the pfile on the command line.   I'm not getting any emails from the list for some   reason so I don't know if this will be well received... but I hope this helps   at least one person.
  Lisa Koivu <FONT face=Tahoma

  size=2>Oracle Database Stressmonkey    <FONT
  face=Tahoma size=2>Fairfield Resorts, Inc. <FONT face=Tahoma
  size=2>5259 Coconut Creek Parkway Ft.
  Lauderdale, FL, USA  33063 Office:
  954-935-4117  Fax:

  954-935-3639 Cell:
  954-683-4459
  "The sender
  believes that this E-Mail and any attachments were free of any virus, worm,   Trojan horse, and/or malicious code when sent. This message and its   attachments could have been infected during transmission.  By reading the   message and opening any attachments, the recipient accepts full responsibility   for taking proactive and remedial action about viruses and other defects. The   sender's business entity is not liable for any loss or damage arising in any   way from this message or its attachments."-- Please see   the official ORACLE-L FAQ: http://www.orafaq.net -- Author: Koivu, Lisa INET:
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] Fat City Network Services -- 858-538-5051
  http://www.fatcity.com San Diego, California -- Mailing list and web hosting
  To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to:   [EMAIL PROTECTED] (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message   BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list   you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other   information (like subscribing). Received on Thu Jun 19 2003 - 09:11:11 CDT