Re: Partitions of table read only

From: Daniel Fink <daniel.fink_at_sun.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2003 07:02:43 -0700

Mark,

        You are understanding the terminology and concepts correctly. Until the transaction completes, there is no way for the system to know which objects the transaction will access.

        More food for thought...I am updating tableA in the non-RO tablespace. However, there is an after-update trigger that updates tableB in the RO tablespace. Will Oracle know this at the PARSE phase?

Daniel Fink

Mark Richard wrote:

> I think Daniel covered this when he mentioned that a transaction can
> consist of many statements - some of which Oracle may not yet be aware of.
> Until a user decides to commit or rollback then there is a possibility that
> a transaction may head into that tablespace.
>
> Of course it would be nice to play god and have an option which equated to
> "I don't care, let those transactions fail miserably".
>
> If I've misunderstood the terminology I'm terribly sorry.
>

> "Darrell Landrum"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED] To: Multiple recipients of
> list ORACLE-L <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> p.com> cc:
> Sent by: Subject: Re: Partitions of table
> read only
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> .com
>

> 19/06/2003 13:34
> Please respond to
> ORACLE-L
>

> Discovery during the parse...?

> Food for thought...
> How does Oracle know that an existing transaction (which may be more
> than the current statement) will not alter data in the RO Tablespace
> until the transaction is completed (rollback/commit)?
>
> --
> Daniel W. Fink
> http://www.optimaldba.combegin:vcard

n:Fink;Daniel
tel;cell:303.808.3282
tel;work:303.272.3225
x-mozilla-html:TRUE
version:2.1
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
title:DB Services Lead
x-mozilla-cpt:;-4832
fn:Daniel Fink
end:vcard Received on Thu Jun 19 2003 - 09:02:43 CDT