Re: ORA-01555 with Automatic Undo Management mode

From: Darrell Landrum <dlandrum_at_zalecorp.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2003 05:05:50 -0700

>>Are you certain that the 1555 was caused by extent stealing?

Nope, not certain at all.

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 06/18/03 09:54PM >>>
Darrell,

    The space management algorithm is such that free extent acquisition

is the second method for undo allocation. The first is claiming expired

extents from the current segment. With a low retention setting, this is

entirely possible. Are you certain that the 1555 was caused by extent stealing?

    What I was trying to say is that a segment will extend by grabbing

free (unallocated) extents before it allocates extents from other segments (stealing). If the mview creation is a single transaction, it

is likely that the extents in the large undo segment are all still active and cannot be reused, no matter what (active undo is NEVER overwritten).

--
Daniel W. Fink
http://www.optimaldba.com

Darrell Landrum wrote:

>>>That all being said, the fact that there is free space in the
>>>

>tablespace implies that the 1555 is not due to an extent being
>overwritten. Oracle should grab free space before it grabs other
>extents, even expired ones. <<
>
>Daniel,
>Are you saying this correctly? The reason I ask, is I've seen a 1555
>error in a system with one job running, only 480 MBs of undo space
used,
>10 minute retention setting, and an undo tablespace of 12 GB. It
>doesn't seem that Oracle grabbed an extent from free space before
using
>an expired one. (Retention setting is now much, much higher. Got to
>watch those hours to seconds conversions.)

>Thomas,
> How long ago was the data for the mview loaded? It is possible
>that you are running into the scenario where delayed block cleanout
is
>causing the ORA-1555. Is the name of the undo segment in the error
the
>same as the large undo extent? I would suspect that they are
different.

> I have not tested mviews as transactions, but I presume oracle
>considers it as one large transaction. This would prevent it from
>acquiring new undo segments, which makes sense as there is one
segment
>that is very large in respect to all the others. There are only 88
>segments in the tablespace, both offline and online, not 88 online?
>Assuming the 88 segments have been shrunk to minimum (128k), they
will
>consume only 10meg. With the numbers you quote, this sounds like the
>case.
>
> SMON awakes periodically to offline undo segments and it may
>have offlined a segment that was needed by the transaction (it just
did
>not know that at the time). SMON should not offline a segment if the
>retention time has not been met, but I don't know this for a fact.
There

-- Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ: http://www.orafaq.net -- Author: Darrell Landrum INET: [EMAIL PROTECTED] Fat City Network Services -- 858-538-5051 http://www.fatcity.com San Diego, California -- Mailing list and web hosting services --------------------------------------------------------------------- To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing).