Re: Partitions of table read only

From: Mark Richard <mrichard_at_transurban.com.au>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2003 23:34:23 -0700

I think Daniel covered this when he mentioned that a transaction can consist of many statements - some of which Oracle may not yet be aware of. Until a user decides to commit or rollback then there is a possibility that a transaction may head into that tablespace.

Of course it would be nice to play god and have an option which equated to "I don't care, let those transactions fail miserably".

If I've misunderstood the terminology I'm terribly sorry.

                      "Darrell Landrum"

                      <[EMAIL PROTECTED]        To:       Multiple recipients of list
ORACLE-L <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
                      p.com>                   cc:

                      Sent by:                 Subject:  Re: Partitions of table read
only
                      [EMAIL PROTECTED]

                      .com

                      19/06/2003 13:34

                      Please respond to

                      ORACLE-L

Discovery during the parse...?

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 06/18/03 09:39PM >>>
Food for thought...
How does Oracle know that an existing transaction (which may be more than the current statement) will not alter data in the RO Tablespace until the transaction is completed (rollback/commit)?

--
Daniel W. Fink
http://www.optimaldba.com

-- Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ: http://www.orafaq.net -- Author: Daniel W. Fink INET: [EMAIL PROTECTED] Fat City Network Services -- 858-538-5051 http://www.fatcity.com San Diego, California -- Mailing list and web hosting services --------------------------------------------------------------------- To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). -- Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ: http://www.orafaq.net -- Author: Darrell Landrum INET: [EMAIL PROTECTED] Fat City Network Services -- 858-538-5051 http://www.fatcity.com San Diego, California -- Mailing list and web hosting services --------------------------------------------------------------------- To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<---->>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Privileged/Confidential information may be contained in this message. If you are not the addressee indicated in this message (or responsible for delivery of the message to such person), you may not copy or deliver this message to anyone. In such case, you should destroy this message and kindly notify the sender by reply e-mail or by telephone on (61 3) 9612-6999. Please advise immediately if you or your employer does not consent to Internet e-mail for messages of this kind. Opinions, conclusions and other information in this message that do not relate to the official business of Transurban City Link Ltd shall be understood as neither given nor endorsed by it. <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<---->>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> -- Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ: http://www.orafaq.net -- Author: Mark Richard INET: [EMAIL PROTECTED] Fat City Network Services -- 858-538-5051 http://www.fatcity.com San Diego, California -- Mailing list and web hosting services --------------------------------------------------------------------- To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing).