Re: Partitions of table read only

From: Daniel Fink <daniel.fink_at_sun.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2003 14:21:33 -0700

Rachel,

        It is not active transactions against that tablespace, it is active transactions. Yup, period! As soon as all the active transactions complete, the tablespace will complete altering itself.

Dan

Rachel Carmichael wrote:

> there WERE no active transactions against that tablespace.
>
> The steps I took were:
>
> as system:
> 1) create tablespace as an LMT
> 2) create table within that tablespace
> 3) attempt to make the tablespace read-only
> when that hung I logged out (which certainly killed any active
> transactions against that tablespace!)
>
> 4) log back in as / as sysdba
> 5) attempt to make that tablespace read-only
>
> No one else knows about that tablespace, it's brand-new. No one else
> has quota or access on the table I created.
>
> However, for completeness, I just offlined and onlined that tablespace,
> then tried to make it read only. It's still hanging.
>
> Oh yeah, 9.2.0.1 on Linux
>
> Rachel
>
> --- Arup Nanda <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Rachel,
> >
> > A TS can't become read only if there are active transactions against
> > it. You
> > must wait till they all finish or kill them.
> >
> > A word of advice - if you decide to kill the sessions, bring the
> > tablespace
> > offline and then online to flush the buffers to disk. This will
> > ensure that
> > the delayed block cleanout will not occur and the contents will never
> > be
> > searched in an undo segment. This is not absolutely necessary, nor is
> > docuemnted anywhere, but in an active system I have seen ORA-1555
> > problems
> > surfacing.
> >
> > HTH.
> >
> > Arup

n:Fink;Daniel
tel;cell:303.808.3282
tel;work:303.272.3225
x-mozilla-html:TRUE
version:2.1
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
title:DB Services Lead
x-mozilla-cpt:;-4832
fn:Daniel Fink
end:vcard Received on Wed Jun 18 2003 - 16:21:33 CDT