Re: Partitions of table read only

From: <Simon.Anderson_at_scisys.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2003 10:24:56 -0700

You're missing something, but I couldn't say what...

I tried toying with the same thing, but I'm having a lazy afternoon, so I used Enterprise Manager:

Set up a new tablespace, created the table, sounds the same so far...

put a few rows into it, again using the nice graphical interface that avoids having to think or know what you're doing ;-)

Made the tablespace read only, checked that I couldn't update the table any more.

Dropped the table - gone, no complaints from the database.

The tablespace map shows the segment that had been being used by the table as a temporary segment.

Your suggestion about the metadata makes sense, the bitmap held in the LMT can't be the only information about that segment. When I get my brain back in gear, I'll try and work out where else to look for a better idea of what's happening.

Cheers

Simon Anderson

Rachel Carmichael <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent by: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
18/06/2003 18:29
Please respond to ORACLE-L

        To:     Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        cc:
        Subject:        Re: Partitions of table read only

okay, am I missing something?

I created an LMT. Created a table in it. Gave no one quota on the tablespace.

did (both as system and sysdba)

alter tablespace test_drop read only;

and hung

what did I forget to do?

  INET: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Wed Jun 18 2003 - 12:24:56 CDT