RE: Anyone using IBM's FastT900 SAN for Oracle DBs?

From: Jesse, Rich <Rich.Jesse_at_qtiworld.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 14:46:53 -0700

Thanks John, but I already know the generic issues with Oracle DB backup on SAN. That's why I was asking specifically about the FastT900.

After some research, I've found out that there is an option called "FlashCopy", which appears to be different than the third mirror approach, but am having a difficult time relating that to our scenario. Specifically, how long the DB would be in backup mode (for reasons you mentioned), what overhead is involved on the production DB before and after the copy (i.e. if it's a PIT snap, do only changed blocks from the source get copied to the target or what about changes to the target itself, since we're firing that up as a separate DB?), and what does a logical subsystem (LSS) consist of, since the source and target of the FlashCopy must exist on the same LSS?

Perhaps it's time to call a FastT Tech Sales Guru... :)

BTW, are you RAID 0ing along with your RAID 1 or are you relying on the SAN cache for performance? Whole DB or just data?

BAARFingly,
Rich

[EMAIL PROTECTED]                  Quad/Tech Inc, Sussex, WI USA

Author: Jesse, Rich
  INET: [EMAIL PROTECTED]