Re: JDBC and MTS

From: John Shaw <John.Shaw_at_correctionscorp.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 07:07:48 -0700

Refer to Note:139775.1 - see if this helps out - basically it says to configure the jdbc driver so that it has to use dedicated server - using MTS is the problem.
>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 6/17/2003 7:24:50 AM >>>
OK. Let me get some things straight:a) I'm not a developer. I'm one of those vile creatures called DBAs.    I don't program. I troubleshoot other people's programs. Other people    program, I nag. When developers start writing bug-free software which    uses the database in the most optimal way, my job is gone.b) The whole problem is that even after specifying SRVR=DEDICATED in the    connect string, the darned thing still connects as an MTS connection.c) What was the issue that you faced? That was my original question.On 2003.06.17 07:09, Regis Biassala wrote:> Richard is right...If ur Java application uses it own connection> pooling...then do not use MTS...it slows down connections and more...We> faced the same issue here....> > Our configuration allows DBA to choose weather connection pooling should> handled by the app or the database...> Use dedicated servers if there's noway you can disable the application> connection pooling...> > > Regis> >
-----Original Message-----> Sent: Tuesday, June 17, 2003 6:05 AM> To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L> > > I used to seen problems with JDBC Thin with MTS on Linux and switching to> a dedicated connection seemed to fix the problem.  But JDBC Thin and MTS> worked fine on my Solaris box.  Not sure with HP-UX.  Is the Java> application> running on an Application Server?>
> Richard Ji> > -----Original Message-----> Sent:
Monday, June 16, 2003 11:25 PM> To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L> > > I'm not a Java expert so please forgive me my ignorance. JDBC application> is facing very strange performance problems during connect. Every now and> then> everything appears to be hung and then, 10 minutes later, users proceed> normally but with the elevated blood pressure and serious lack of patience.> I was told that JDBC has it's own connection pooling mechanism and that it> will start it's own dedicated server connection. It seems though that the> string "SRVR=DEDICATED" has been ignored and that users are acquiring a> shared> server connection.> Does anybody in this group have any experience with JDBC and MTS? Version is> 8.1.7.1, 64 bit on HP-UX 11 with OPS. Dispatchers are cross-registered with> listeners on all 4 nodes for load balancing purposes. I found surprisingly> little material on the Metalink. No network collisions, no retransmits, no> timeouts can be seen from netstat -i and netstat -s. The NIC is 1GB Ethernet> and I would be very surprised if approximately 100 users could kill it with> a> JDBC application. They could use DBA as a human sacrifice, though.>

--> Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ: <A href="http://www.orafaq.net">http://www.orafaq.net> --> Author: Mladen Gogala>   INET: [EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Fat City Network Services    -- 858-538-5051 <A
href="http://www.fatcity.com">http://www.fatcity.com> San Diego, California        -- Mailing list and web hosting services>

REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message> to: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in> the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L> (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from).  You may> also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing).> --> Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ: <A
href="http://www.orafaq.net">http://www.orafaq.net> --> Author: Richard Ji>   INET: [EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Fat City Network Services    -- 858-538-5051 <A
href="http://www.fatcity.com">http://www.fatcity.com> San Diego, California        -- Mailing list and web hosting services>
REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message> to: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in> the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L> (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from).  You may> also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing).>
This electronic transmission is strictly confidential and intended solely> for the addressee. It may contain information which is covered by legal,> professional or other privilege. If you are not the intended addressee,> you must not disclose, copy or take any action in reliance of this> transmission. If you have received this transmission in error,> please notify the sender as soon as possible.> > This footnote also confirms that this message has been swept> for computer viruses.>
Mladen Gogala  INET: [EMAIL PROTECTED]Fat City Network Services    -- 858-538-5051 <A
href="http://www.fatcity.com">http://www.fatcity.comSan Diego, California        -- Mailing list and web hosting
REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail messageto: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and inthe message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L(or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from).  You mayalso send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Tue Jun 17 2003 - 09:07:48 CDT