RE: Duplicate column

From: Jacques Kilchoer <Jacques.Kilchoer_at_quest.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2003 17:38:16 -0700

I don't know how it can have two columns with identical names. I know the X$ "tables" are unusual creatures but a duplicate column name goes against all common sense. Perhaps one of them has a space at the end of the name? Or else X$ tables aren't subject to the rules? Or else it's a bug in the describe command.

When I wonder about a particular x$ table, the only way I know of to try and figure out what the table's use is, is to spool the output of this SQL statement to a file:
spool /tmp/gv_views.lst
select view_name, view_definition
from v$fixed_view_definition
where view_name like 'GV$%'
order by view_name ;

and then search for the x$ table name. In the case of x$ksfmlib, I find it being used to build gv$map_library:
GV$MAP_LIBRARY select inst_id,lib_idx,lib_name,vendor_name,protocol_num,

version_num,path_name,decode(bitand(cap_fi
le,1),0,'N',1,'Y'), decode(bitand(cap_file,
6),0,'NONE',6,'PERSISTENT',2,'NONPERSISTENT'), decode(bi
tand(cap_elem, 1),0,'N',1,'Y'),decode(bitand(cap_elem,6),0,'NONE', 6,'PERSISTENT',4,'NONPERSISTENT')
,decode(cap_other,0,'N',1,'Y') from x$ksfmlib

Of course some x$ tables are also used in dba_ views. For example x$ktfbfe in dba_free_space.

Author: Jacques Kilchoer
  INET: [EMAIL PROTECTED]