Re: World premier performance of the BAARF party logo

From: Mladen Gogala <mgogala_at_adelphia.net>
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2003 11:42:18 -0700

Dennis, to tell the truth, writing in oracle is not a big problem, as long as the redo files are not on RAID-5. Everything else can reside on RAID-5 without a visible performance impact. Second, RAID-5 vendors like EMC and Hitachi usually offer two versions of non-volatile cache: write-through one which essentially performs prefetch and a genuine full cache which caches both read and write calls. The latter type of cache, which is very expensive, is found on Symmetrix boxes only and not on former DG-Clariion boxes (talking EMC here). These types of RAID-5 implementation are usually referred to as RAID-6 or RAID-S.
How to benchmark those? Well, the trick in benchmarking those systems is to do what one would never do with it's own system: put redo logs on RAID-5(6,S?), launch several threads of update intensive short transactions (OLTP mix) and count "user commits" from v$sysstat. Prior to that, establish a baseline with RAID 1+0 and see what is the difference. See how many commits would RAID-5 box record during the same time as RAID-1+0 box and you'll know the difference in speed. Also, make sure to pull out one of the disks while system is working and see what's the impact of resilvering. <RANT>
As for the entertainment value, I would hope that Julia Roberts and Mel Gibson would consider making a movie about the RAID-5 conspiracy. Julia would be a DBA trying to purchase a RAID box and Mel Gibson would be a honest RAID-5 salesman which would uncover a nasty EMC, IBM and Hitachi conspiracy. You can tell that it is a fiction because of the phrase "honest RAID salesman". The only problem would be to teach the two of them how not to sound "nucular". </RANT>

On 2003.06.15 14:14, DENNIS WILLIAMS wrote: Mladen - I would propose another theory. Please consider this rant for entertainment value, and hopefully to consider a book on this topic.

   Usually companies request bids from several vendors. If you as a storage salesperson always bid RAID1+0, you will always be underbid by your competitors, receive no commissions, and in the end be fired. If you always bid RAID5, you will probably receive some business, some commissions, and keep your job. Now, pretend I'm a storage system salesperson. Which system am I going to specify to the customer?
Now, if the customer insists on purchasing RAID1+0 or whatever, I'll probably argue a little because I've been stung before where I was suckered into bidding RAID1+0 and then my ignoramus competitor just blindly quoted RAID5 and when it bubbled up to the V.P. he asked "why are you going with the more expensive vendor"? And trying to quote a salesperson isn't a good move at that point.

   I thought Rachel had a good point on this topic awhile back. If you are a top-notch consultant that is often called in to solve performance problems, you have often cured them by switching from RAID5. So you have a lot of confidence in it. But if you are the lowly on-site DBA just trying to hang onto your job in the political turbulence, you usually don't have enough facts to challenge the system administrators who trust their storage vendors a lot more than a DBA that couldn't actually configure a storage system to save his or her life.

   So suppose I do try to challenge the system administrators. I say that RAID1+0 will write faster than RAID5. The reply is "okay how much faster?" I mumble that I've never seen any actual figures published anywhere. He or she says maybe at the low level there is a slight advantage to RAID1+0, but with a gig of battery-backed cache that won't be true. Or he or she asks "What does Oracle recommend?". And on it goes.

   Okay, I'm being provocative here. But how do I, a lowly DBA, prove which is faster? Should I talk my system administrator into going to the trouble of configuring a system both ways and run some tests? What type of tests would be most useful? If I choose the wrong test, and RAID5 looks just as good as RAID1+0, I'm sunk. Then for years to come when I try to make a point at a meeting someone will say "yeah, is this another RAID1+0 theory?" Dennis Williams
DBA, 80%OCP, 100% DBA
Lifetouch, Inc.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Author: Mladen Gogala