RE: db file sequential read [WAS:wait event puzzler]

From: Jacques Kilchoer <Jacques.Kilchoer_at_quest.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2003 10:54:52 -0700

Clarifying:
1 - has been shown to be impossible.
2 - Most people on the list disagree with this. Even if someone wants to try it for testing it won't help you in production.

3 - Was a JOKE!
4 - True.
5 - True.
6 - True.
7 - True. Dangerous advice should always be accompanied by a ton of caveats.
8 - was a JOKE!
9 - good advice. Read The Fine Manual.

Summary - updating the data dictionary directly means that Oracle will not support your database. Unless you're not paying for any support, nothing you do is worth that risk.

Why is the limit 30 characters? It has always been that way. Who decided 30 characters when Oracle was first built? The answer is probably lost in the mists of time. Why is it still 30 characters? I am guessing because changing that size would cause millions of lines of code (Oracle software, third-party software, customer homegrown software) to have to be modified and there is not enough demand for Oracle to make that change.

Author: Jacques Kilchoer
  INET: [EMAIL PROTECTED]