standby archivelogs

From: Jim Neugebauer <neugjj_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2003 08:31:52 -0700

I would like to pose a question to the group in hopes of saving some testing time.   I am reconfiguring an 8.1.7 managed standby server after moving it to a new data center.  The network link between the primary and standby is now 1/4 of what it used to be and I think this is going to be an issue.  During periods of intense activity we can generate a LOT of archive logs very quickly.

relevent parameters:
log_archive_max_processes       =  5log_archive_dest_1              = 'LOCATION=/oradata/xxx/arch MANDATORY REOPEN=120'log_archive_dest_2              = "service=XXXXX reopen=300"log_archive_min_succeed_dest    = 1

my question is this.. will the primary database hang if all the redo logs are full and the archive process cannot keep up due to the sloooow network connection to the standby?  i.e. will all 5 archive processes get tied up writing to the standby and be unavailable to archive local logs?  do archivers give priority to local logs somehow?   Is there a way to separate local archive processes vs. remote archive processes?  I do not want to increase the number of archivers because this will only saturate the network more...

Thanks!

Jim Jim NeugebauerOracle DBAAmeritrade Holding Corp Do you Yahoo!?
The New Yahoo! Search - Faster. Easier. Bingo. Received on Fri Jun 13 2003 - 10:31:52 CDT