RE: RE: Fragmentation ?

From: DENNIS WILLIAMS <DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2003 08:19:16 -0700

Well said. For people that can only comprehend a simple solution, it is much more comfortable to have a single answer. The old "reorganize to a single extent" was always easy to understand. Along the way as a side-effect it cured other types of fragmentation, but if the underlying causes of the fragmentation are understood, then fewer reorganizations would be needed.

   The paper "Stop Defragmenting . . ." isn't one of those you can skim and then set aside. It needs to be intensively studied. LMT isn't completely foolproof, so you need to understand the underlying premises. As to the types of fragmentation, read the introduction. It explains which chapter discusses which type of fragmentation.

Dennis Williams
DBA, 80%OCP, 100% DBA
Lifetouch, Inc.
[EMAIL PROTECTED] -----Original Message-----
Sent: Friday, June 13, 2003 9:15 AM
To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L

there was a debate on here 2 weeks ago where it was concluded that until you get to thousands of extents it just doesnt matter how many you have.

> From: "VIVEK_SHARMA" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Date: 2003/06/13 Fri AM 06:39:36 EDT
> To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: RE: Fragmentation ?
>
> Dennis , List
>
> What may be the OTHER forms of fragmentation ?
>
> What Number of Extents may be considered Critical warranting
RE-Organization for Manually Sized Objects existing in LMTs ?

> Thanks for the great paper . Had read it previously though .
>
> Thanks

Extents for
> the respective Table. Our Application does have Objects of Dissimilar
Sizes

Author: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
  INET: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Author: DENNIS WILLIAMS