RE: Oracle Names

From: Gene Sais <Gsais_at_co.palm-beach.fl.us>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 12:25:17 -0700

When using names, always have more than one nameserver  and add these 2 lines to sqlnet.ora.  It sure helps when one fails.  Been there :)

NAMES.INITIAL_RETRY_TIMEOUT = 5 #Wait num seconds before going to next nameserver,def=15
NAMES.REQUEST_RETRIES =
2        #Number of retries for
nameserver,def=5
Gene
>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 06/12/03 03:42PM
>>>Re pushing the tnsnames.ora out to desktops:I considered
that, but there were too many versions of it out there, and the users may have ODBC DSN' s dependent on the contentsof their tnsnames.ora.Re the share drive:  Considered that too, but it's too easy fornet admins to re-arrange drives without advance warning.( it has happened )I compromised.  The tnsnames.ora stays on the desktops.The sqlnet.ora has this line:NAMES.DIRECTORY_PATH = (ONAMES, TNSNAMES)so that their tnsnames will still work, but I can make changesin the name servers without worrying about their tnsnames files.Updating the names servers is pretty simple, and I don't haveto schedule a change to all the desktops.Works for me
anyway.JaredStephen Lee
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>Sent by: [EMAIL PROTECTED]06/12/2003 12:01 PMPlease respond to
ORACLE-L
To:     Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>        cc:

Subject:        RE: Oracle
NamesI never liked names, but that's just me.  I thought keeping the namesservers up to date, and making sure every client was configured to use thename servers, was a pain in the butt.  You can have multiple names serversto eliminate a single point of failure.The method I liked the best was to have the PC admin people push a newtnsnames.ora out to client machines using push software.  Let THEM fuss withit!Another method that works is to have the tnsnames.ora on a share and stick ashortcut on the client desktop that will update the local tnsnames.ora whenthe user clicks on it.> -----Original Message-----> > 1. Are any of you using the Oracle Names?> 2. Is it as easy to configure as Oracle makes it sound, or is > it difficult?> 3. Is Names reasonably robust? I can see this as yet another > single point of> failure.-- Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ: <A href="http://www.orafaq.net/">http://www.orafaq.net-- Author: Stephen Lee  INET: [EMAIL PROTECTED]Fat City Network Services    -- 858-538-5051 <A

REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail messageto: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and inthe message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L(or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from).  You mayalso send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing).-- Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ: <A
href="http://www.orafaq.net/">http://www.orafaq.net-- Author:   INET: [EMAIL PROTECTED]Fat City Network Services    -- 858-538-5051 <A
REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail messageto: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and inthe message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L(or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from).  You mayalso send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Thu Jun 12 2003 - 14:25:17 CDT