RE: Oracle Names

From: Stephen Lee <Stephen.Lee_at_DTAG.Com>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 11:32:28 -0700

I never liked names, but that's just me. I thought keeping the names servers up to date, and making sure every client was configured to use the name servers, was a pain in the butt. You can have multiple names servers to eliminate a single point of failure.

The method I liked the best was to have the PC admin people push a new tnsnames.ora out to client machines using push software. Let THEM fuss with it!

Another method that works is to have the tnsnames.ora on a share and stick a shortcut on the client desktop that will update the local tnsnames.ora when the user clicks on it.

Author: Stephen Lee
  INET: [EMAIL PROTECTED]