RE: Oracle Names

From: Mercadante, Thomas F <NDATFM_at_labor.state.ny.us>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 11:30:04 -0700

Dennis,

We are using Oracle Names. It is very easy to set up and use. It typically is run on a pair separate servers (think of a DNS Server) for redundancy.

It can run off of a TNSNAMES file or another Oracle database. Personally, I would use a TNSNAMES file - one less DB to maintain.

I think if I would be implementing it now, I would use the new Oracle LDAP service. One fellow DBA is playing with it here and he says it is simple to set up. ONAMES is supposedly going away, so going with the new product now makes sense.

Good Luck!

Tom Mercadante
Oracle Certified Professional

Author: DENNIS WILLIAMS
  INET: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing).

Author: Mercadante, Thomas F
  INET: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Thu Jun 12 2003 - 13:30:04 CDT