RE: RAC, fail over and timeout .. Big Question

From: Loughmiller, Greg <Greg.Loughmiller_at_cingular.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 11:24:30 -0700

It
would be interesting to see if the pre-connect helps you out or not.. We are getting ready to work thru similar issues/testing... <SPAN
class=600273317-12062003>
<SPAN
class=600273317-12062003>Greg

<FONT face="Times New Roman"

  size=2>-----Original Message-----From: K Gopalakrishnan   [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]Sent: Thursday, June 12, 2003 12:30   PMTo: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-LSubject: RE:   RAC, fail over and timeout .. Big Question
<FONT color=#0000ff face=Arial

  size=2>Raj:
<FONT color=#0000ff face=Arial

  size=2>
  I am
  afraid, there are not much alternatives you can think of. Even the SELECT fail   over
<FONT color=#0000ff face=Arial

  size=2>will  take around few seconds since it has to attach the   PGA to the second
<FONT color=#0000ff face=Arial

  size=2>instance and run the query from where it is failovered, though you can   overcome
  this
  by enabling pre-connect.
<SPAN

  class=576224803-13062003><FONT color=#0000ff face=Arial   size=2>
  Pls
  let me know if you got any nice ideas ;)
<SPAN

  class=576224803-13062003>
  Best Regards,K Gopalakrishnan
<FONT face=Tahoma

  size=2>-----Original Message-----From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]   [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]On Behalf Of Jamadagni,   RajendraSent: Thursday, June 12, 2003 7:50 AMTo:   Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-LSubject: RAC, fail over and   timeout .. Big Question
  Hi all,
  here is a (hopefully) tricky one ...

  We have a two node RAC (9202), two
  applications run on either side, no problems there. We have a business   critical process that runs all the time on node T2. This process needs to have   a set response time or it affects business. And it is written in VB. Currently   we have already handled the situations when a node is down (or machine is   down) it fails over to the other side and continues.   What we need to cater for is when DB is up,   but sick (i.e. not responding). We need to be able to specify a timeout in the   queries and when we get no response in the specified time, we need to   automatically fail over to the other side.   The queries in the application are
  optimally written, they are sub-second or single digit second queries. So, a   query taking a long time would be about 10-15 seconds.   While we are fishing for ideas, has anyone   implemented anything like this? Any ideas?   Thanks in advance <FONT
  face="Courier New" size=2>Raj <FONT face="Courier New"

  Rajendra dot Jamadagni at nospamespn dot   com All Views expressed in this
  email are strictly personal. QOTD:
  Any clod can have facts, having an opinion is an art ! Received on Thu Jun 12 2003 - 13:24:30 CDT