Re: Oracle Names

From: Jose Luis Delgado <joseluis_delgado_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 11:06:33 -0700

Dennis...

> 1. Are any of you using the Oracle Names?

I am! :-)

> 2. Is it as easy to configure as Oracle makes it
> sound, or is it difficult?

it is an easy task, Oracle has Net Manager on 9i, and Net8 Assistant on 8i... both guides you through the configuration, where you need to define regions.

> 3. Is Names reasonably robust? I can see this as yet
> another single point of failure.

I think so... I have two names servers, the second is just if the first one fails.

Of course, I can obtain network load balancing using both. :-)

> 4. Oracle hinted that Oracle Names is going away in
> favor of LDAP. Is this
> imminent, or just a scare tactic? I had held off
> using Names because of
> this, but the company has made a commitment to MS
> Active Directory, which I
> gather from the list postings isn't very compatible
> with Oracle's LDAP.

Sorry! :-( I don't know!

I though that LDAP was like a standard (so, Active Directory should be compatible with Oracle's LDAP).

Here we use Active Directory, but we do not use Oracle's LDAP (yet :-)).

HTH
JL

> Dennis Williams
> DBA, 80%OCP, 100% DBA
> Lifetouch, Inc.
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> --
> Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ:
> http://www.orafaq.net
> --
> Author: DENNIS WILLIAMS
> INET: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> Fat City Network Services -- 858-538-5051
> http://www.fatcity.com
> hosting services

> E-Mail message
> 'ListGuru') and in