applying transactions

From: David Turner <turner_at_tellme.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 15:19:28 -0700

I've got a project where I get daily log files with inserts and deletes to keep a table current. I've set up an external table which contains the logs and a stored procedure reads from it and inserts or deletes from the table accordingly. Note one insert or delete per iteration. They're not bulked.

The problem is it is running way too slowly. I'm running about 300 transactions a second and believe the slow time has to do with context switching. Merge won't work because it can't handle a record being changed multiple times in the transaction log/external table. When I run inserts only I'm inserting about 5000 rows a second, but understand the deletes would slow it down considerably.

Keep in mind all the records have to be executed sequentially because we're just applying a log file.

Right now I'm trying to figure out a scheme to perform all the inserts that don't exist in the destination table, then all deletes, and then the remaining inserts but thought I should just send an email to see if someone had a better way of getting me the transaction rate I need, about 1000 rec/s.

Thanks, Dave

Author: David Turner
  INET: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Wed Jun 11 2003 - 17:19:28 CDT