Re: Rule Based Optimizer

From: Peter Gram <peter.gram_at_miracleas.dk>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 12:54:07 -0700

Dick

I personally think the CBO is a great optimizer even if the first versions 7.0.x,7.1.x, and 7.2 was a bit shaky When somebody say that the CBO has to get better/mature then they typically have worked with the RBO and forgot that humans has this fantastic skill of adapting to known behaviour. That is we unconscious worked as preprocessors to the RBO, by using small tricks like rearranging the from clause, adding a empty sting to the left side of a join, rearranging the order of the predicates in the where clause. Since the CBO is able to take into account so many new things (hash, direct read for sort, parallel ...) when creating a plan for a statement and most of the time do et descent job. When the CBO really F...up a simple plan for at statement we humans get annoyed and surprised over how stupid the CBO is. My experience is that if you take a 1000 Sql statement the and feed them through the CBO and the RBO (with out preprocessing) the CBO will always win or you take a 1000 Sql statement and preprocess then for the RBO and preprocess then via hints and statistics for the CBO the CBO will win :-)

That my to cent's

d, Dick wrote:

Same here. Hopefully 10i's CBO has matured.

Dick Goulet
Senior Oracle DBA
Oracle Certified 8i DBA

Author: Goulet, Dick
 INET: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). -- Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ: http://www.orafaq.net -- Author: K Gopalakrishnan INET: [EMAIL PROTECTED] Fat City Network Services -- 858-538-5051 http://www.fatcity.com San Diego, California -- Mailing list and web hosting services
To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). -- Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ: http://www.orafaq.net -- Author: INET: [EMAIL PROTECTED] Fat City Network Services -- 858-538-5051 http://www.fatcity.com San Diego, California -- Mailing list and web hosting services
To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). -- Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ: http://www.orafaq.net -- Author: Freeman Robert - IL INET: [EMAIL PROTECTED] Fat City Network Services -- 858-538-5051 http://www.fatcity.com San Diego, California -- Mailing list and web hosting services
To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). -- Peter Gram, Miracle A/S Phone : +45 2527 7107, Fax : +45 4466 8856 mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] - http://MiracleAS.dk -- Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ: http://www.orafaq.net -- Author: Peter Gram INET: [EMAIL PROTECTED] Fat City Network Services -- 858-538-5051 http://www.fatcity.com San Diego, California -- Mailing list and web hosting services