Re: Query on Dual

From: Daniel W. Fink <optimaldba_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 08:11:35 -0700

Kesh,

        I have some information on my website (http://www.optimaldba.com/internals/oraint_dual.html). It is a pretty terse discussion of the topic. I know that Cary Millsap has tested and written a paper on this as well. IIRC, there is mention of DUAL in his paper on reducing Logical I/Os. You can find out more on his website at www.hotsos.com.

--
Daniel W. Fink
http://www.optimaldba.com

Jayaram Keshava Murthy (Cognizant) wrote:
 cite="">

  Hi  all,

Can anyone tell me the performance issues related to the excessive usage of the DUAL table in pl/sql procedures? I remember reading an article about this ( I dont remember if it was in ASKTOM site ) wherein it was told that excessive usage of DUAL comes with a cost and there was a suggestion in that to create a view on the system table X$DUAL..

If anybody has a link to that please send it to me.

Thanks to one and all.

Regards Kesh This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message. Any unauthorised review, use, disclosure, dissemination, forwarding, printing or copying of this email or any action taken in reliance on this e-mail is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. Visit us at http://www.cognizant.com