Re: Re: Rule Based Optimizer

From: Arup Nanda <orarup_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 05:45:18 -0700

Perhaps MBO (Mood Based Optimizer)!
<BLOCKQUOTE

  To: <A [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  href="mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]">Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L

  Sent: Wednesday, June 11, 2003 7:39
  AM
  Subject: Re: Re: Rule Based
  Optimizer
  what did oracle use before the RBO? > > From:   Mogens Nørgaard <<A
  href="mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]">[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> Date:   2003/06/11 Wed AM 12:39:20 EDT> To: Multiple recipients of list   ORACLE-L <<A
  href="mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]">[EMAIL PROTECTED]>>   Subject: Re: Rule Based Optimizer> > Yep. Here's the official   statement from Oracle about RBO in 10i:> > "The RBO is Oracle's   legacy optimizer originating from Oracle Version 6 > and earlier. The   RBO is being desupported in Oracle10i. The RBO will > still exist in   Oracle10i, but will be an unsupported feature and will be > removed in   a future release. No code changes will be made to the RBO > code and no   bug fixes will be provided. The RBO was superseded in > Oracle7 by the   CBO and has continued to be available for backwards > compatibility.   Oracle Oracle10i will support only one optimizer, and all >   applications running on that release should use that optimizer. ">
> What's behind this wording? I don't really know, but I can guess.
> There's a myth that the RBO hasn't been enhanced since the
  introduction > of CBO in 7.0. That, I learned one day in Steve Adams'   car, is not true. > It has been enhanced to know about new segment   types, etc. A fun (well, > fun...) exception to this is partitions. If   you're using partitions > you're using CBO.> > So I read   it as: "Yeah, we haven't really enhanced the RBO since 7.0 > except to   allow it to recognize IOT's and other new segment types. In > 10i we   won't even do that."> > Mogens> > Freeman Robert -   IL wrote:> > >RWB,> >> >I'll tell you, if   KG says it about Oracle, I pretty much would go to the> >bank with   it.> >> >RF> >> >-----Original
  Message-----> >To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L>
>Sent: 6/10/2003 4:24 PM> >> >> >Mr.

  Gopalakrishnan:> >> >How do you know this? Can anyone   confirm (or deny) this?  I hope it is> >true!>
>Oracle should just quit cold turkey and not support the RULE
  optimizer> >at> >all in any future releases.>

>========================================================================>
>====================================> >> >Reginald W.
  Bailey> >IBM Global Services - ETS SW GDSD - Database   Management> >Your Friendly Neighborhood DBA> >713-216-7703   (Office) 281-798-5474 (Mobile) 713-415-5410 (Pager)>
>========================================================================>
>====================================> >> >>

  [EMAIL PROTECTED]> >>

  .com

  To:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]> >>

  Sent
  by:
  cc:> >>

  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  Subject:     RE: Rule Based>
>Optimizer

  ity.com> >> > > >> > >

  06/10/2003> >>

  12:59 PM> >>

  Please respond> >>

  to ORACLE-L> >> > > >> > >

  optimizer will not be supported in next version.> >But you can still   use the RULE optimizer and it is> >just a matter of official support   from Oracle.> >> >Best Regards,> >K
  Gopalakrishnan> >> >> >> >>
>-----Original Message-----> >Goulet, Dick> >Sent:
  Tuesday, June 10, 2003 10:16 AM> >To: Multiple recipients of list   ORACLE-L> >> >> >There appears to be a number of   folks on the list who have some insight> >into> >the next   version of the database.  I'd like to ask those folks a simple>
  like?> >Does it die in 10i??> >> >Dick   Goulet> >Senior Oracle DBA> >Oracle Certified 8i   DBA> >--> >Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ:   http://www.orafaq.net> >--> >Author: Goulet, Dick>
  Services    -- 858-538-5051 http://www.fatcity.com>
>San Diego, California        -- Mailing
  list and web hosting services>
>to: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and
  in> >the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB   ORACLE-L> >(or the name of mailing list you want to be removed   from).  You may> >also send the HELP command for other   information (like subscribing).> >> >>
  http://www.orafaq.net> >--> >Author: K   Gopalakrishnan> >  INET: [EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>> >Fat City Network Services    -- 858-538-5051
  http://www.fatcity.com> >San Diego,
  California        -- Mailing list and web   hosting services>
>to: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and
  in> >the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB   ORACLE-L> >(or the name of mailing list you want to be removed   from).  You may> >also send the HELP command for other   information (like subscribing).> >> >> >>
>  > >> > >

  Yep. Here's the official statement from Oracle about RBO in   10i:“The RBO is Oracle's legacy optimizer originating from Oracle   Version 6 and earlier. The RBO is being desupported in Oracle10i. The RBO   will still exist in Oracle10i, but will be an unsupported feature and   will be removed in a future release. No code changes will be made   to the RBO code and no bug fixes will be provided. The RBO was superseded in   Oracle7 by the CBO and has continued to be available for backwards   compatibility. Oracle Oracle10i will support only one optimizer, and all   applications running on that release should use that optimizer.   “What's behind this wording? I don't really know, but I can guess.   There's a myth that the RBO hasn't been enhanced since the introduction of CBO   in 7.0. That, I learned one day in Steve Adams' car, is not true. It has been   enhanced to know about new segment types, etc. A fun (well, fun...) exception   to this is partitions. If you're using partitions you're using CBO.So   I read it as: "Yeah, we haven't really enhanced the RBO since 7.0 except to   allow it to recognize IOT's and other new segment types. In 10i we won't even   do that."MogensFreeman Robert - IL wrote:   RWB, I'll tell you, if KG says it about Oracle, I pretty much would go to the bank with it.

RF

How do you know this? Can anyone confirm (or deny) this? I hope it is true!
Oracle should just quit cold turkey and not support the RULE optimizer at
all in any future releases.

RWB

Reginald W. Bailey
IBM Global Services - ETS SW GDSD - Database Management Your Friendly Neighborhood DBA
713-216-7703 (Office) 281-798-5474 (Mobile) 713-415-5410 (Pager)

                    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

                    .com                 To:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]

                    Sent by:             cc:

Author: Goulet, Dick
  INET: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Author: K Gopalakrishnan