Re: International User Community

From: Mogens Nørgaard <mln_at_miracleas.dk>
Date: Mon, 09 Jun 2003 14:41:13 -0700

Who knows? I know for at fact that Oracle UK sold Oracle 5 to Ghadaffi (or however his name is spelled) back in the 80's. They also had a lively trade with South Africa - known back then as "South England"... rumor has it, though, that - due to stuff happening high over Lockerbie - Oracle UK thought they'd better not invoice the guy in the tent in the desert.

So somewhere there might still be a 5.1.22 running some important Libyan military stuff.

Then there's the story of East Germany and the re-union. When the Wall came down Oracle West Germany found that a certain East German conglomorate (sp?) based in Dresden had 30+ Oracle folks working there, supporting 100 or 200 Oracle 5 installations throughout East Germany. Instead of just shooting everyone in sight, Oracle West Germany hired the 30+ folks, opened an official office in Dresden, legalized all the installations, upgraded them to version 6, then to version 7 - and then started charging whatever little or much they could afford. I still admire the guys in Oracle West Germany for that approach. Way to go.

Of course I have also spoken to excellent people from Oracle Russia who had worked with Oracle version 1 - respect! One of the things we shouldn't forget is that the Italians sold Oracle 5.1.22 to the Soviet Union when it was highly illegal to do so. They also sold these Olivette B?4?-something Unix computers, promised that Oracle version 5 worked splendidly with the Cyrillic alphabet - and then got the Hell out.

Well, Oracle version 5 hardly worked with any language, but certainly not with the Cyrillic alphabet. When the Soviets discovered it they couldn't do anything. They had paid, by the way, in hard currency the excellent price of $25 or $30 Million, but it was also an illegal deal under the CoCom agreements, so they couldn't do anything officially about it.

Instead, the Institute for Computer Science at the University of Moscow hacked the code and actually made it work with the Cyrillic alphabet. No wonder there are many excellent Russian Oracle people around.

Ah, so many good stories to be told over the campfire and over a bottle or two of something.

Mogens

Seefelt, Beth wrote:
 cite="">

  Message

  Were'nt
US companies forbidden to do business with Iraq in 98-99?

 face="Tahoma" size="2">-----Original Message-----   From: KENNETH JANUSZ [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]   Sent: Monday, June 09, 2003 3:10 PM
  To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L   Subject: Re: International User Community

  When I worked for Oracle back
in 1998-99 Oracle had an office in the capitol of Iraq as I recall.

  Ken Janusz, CPIM

 style="border-left: 2px solid rgb(0,0,0); padding-right: 0px; padding-left: 5px; margin-left: 5px; margin-right: 0px;">

 style="font-family: arial; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; font-size: 10pt; line-height: normal; font-stretch: normal; font-size-adjust: none;">----- Original Message -----

 style="background: rgb(228,228,228) none repeat scroll 0%; font-family: arial; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; font-size: 10pt; line-height: normal; font-stretch: normal; font-size-adjust: none;">From:    Richard
   Ji

 style="font-family: arial; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; font-size: 10pt; line-height: normal; font-stretch: normal; font-size-adjust: none;">To:

    Multiple
recipients of list ORACLE-L

 style="font-family: arial; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; font-size: 10pt; line-height: normal; font-stretch: normal; font-size-adjust: none;">Sent: Monday, June 09, 2003 12:50 PM

 style="font-family: arial; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; font-size: 10pt; line-height: normal; font-stretch: normal; font-size-adjust: none;">Subject: RE: International User Community

 color="#0000ff" size="2">I thought Iran registered it first.

 face="Tahoma" size="2">-----Original Message-----