RE: Sun to Linux on Dell

From: Steve McClure <smcclure_at_usscript.com>
Date: Mon, 09 Jun 2003 12:52:13 -0700

I would agree there is not much to go on, and I admit I am leary to jump on the migrate to Linux bandwagon. True you can get dirt cheap hardware to run your Linux install, but then you are running a very solid OS on dirt cheap hardware. Performance will suffer unless you purchase really top notch equipment. You can also buy more cheaper hardware and go the RAC route, but then you have all those licensing fees for RAC. Very likely more expensive than the Sun, HP, IBM box that could have delivered the required performance. Then you have the support question. All the big vendors have very good support staffs. I bought the top level REDHAT support contract a few years back and, unless they have seriously come Jesus, they are way behind the big boys in support. Not to mention trading out Sun HW Support, even without a contract, for any sort of DELL support. No Thanks! I would add that if they are gung ho regarding Linux, Sun now supports Linux on their hardware.

I feel like I should have started this response "Hello my name is Steve McClure and I am a RAC on Linux doubter" Really I have felt this way for a long time. Maybe the time will come when I see it as a great idea, but right now it just doesn't add up for me.

Steve McClure