RE: BI tools recommendations or disasters

From: Tierstein, Leslie <LTierstein_at_cns.gov>
Date: Mon, 09 Jun 2003 11:22:23 -0700

I would start by checking out Oracle
Warehouse Builder (OWB) which is supposed to be bundled with Oracle 9iDS. So the price is right (ie, "free") if you already use 9iDS. Plus, its architecture is built around Oracle's (PL/SQL procedures; use of AQ; etc)

If that doesn't work, check out products by Cognos. My direct experience with this is 2-3 years old, but I liked DataStream, if it's still around. It's not customized for an Oracle database as OWB is, but it ran quite nicely with Oracle.

People in the Oracle community that I've talked to tend NOT to be very fond of Informatica. Please, see my next point:

Be warned, though, fully featured products to build datamarts can tend to get pricey fairly quickly.

Leslie

  -----Original
  Message-----From: John Shaw [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]   Sent: Monday, June 09, 2003 1:00 PMTo: Multiple   recipients of list ORACLE-LSubject: BI tools recommendations or   disaters
  We have created a monster. I started with a small datamart for the   finance group. Now everyone wants their own - and of course bigger, better,   faster, and linked with all the other data to drill to anywhere. So now I get   to pick out some data warehouse tool to roll all this data together. Any   recommendations on who's product to use - or who to avoid. I am   running 9.2.0.3 on Solaris 9.
  Thanks. Received on Mon Jun 09 2003 - 13:22:23 CDT