Cascading Triggers

From: <carol.legros_at_accenture.com>
Date: Mon, 09 Jun 2003 11:08:52 -0700

Hi listers...

I have a question related to triggers.  One of the developers here has created two triggers as follows :

Trigger #1 is an AFTER UPDATE trigger on TABLE-A
       - the trigger has PL/SQL code including an UPDATE dml statement on TABLE-B.COL-2

Trigger #2 is an AFTER UPDATE trigger on TABLE-B  with a WHEN clause (old.COL-1 = new.COL-2)
       - the trigger has  PL/SQL including an UPDATE to TABLE-C

So, here's the interesting thing...

An update to TABLE-A fires Trigger #1 causing an update to TABLE-B.COL-2.   This should in turn cause Trigger #2 to fire.  But that is not happening, or perhaps its fired, but the WHEN clause condition on TABLE-B (Trigger #2) isn't being met for some reason.

The question is why ?  Is there something going on with read consistancy ?  Where Trigger #2 sees the old (pre-updated) version of TABLE-B.COL-2 and is not aware of the new value set by Trigger #1 ? I haven't seen much info on cascading triggers.

Any thoughts or suggestions to point me in the right direction would be appreciated.

Carol