RE: HP-Sun Cross Platform Migration - Exp/Imp, CTAS over

From: Hemant K Chitale <hkchital_at_singnet.com.sg>
Date: Mon, 09 Jun 2003 07:49:46 -0700

Direct mode doesn't work across platforms [or, at least, I haven't tried it]. It isn't supported.

SQLLDR, Parallel Export-Import, Parallel Index Build are options -- these can be done
in parallel. Run at least two rounds of testing to see how you can migrate the data.

Hemant
At 06:29 AM 09-06-03 -0800, you wrote:
Exp/imp of a 200GB database is possible, but I'd think the time required would be the long pole in the tent. I'd say your looking at at least a 4 day weekend at best and only if you used direct mode. Someone has hinted that you can simply move the datafiles from one box to the other. Well I'd not loose the original system before you prove that. My experience with database file from Solaris to HP-UX has been a 100% loss of data. Granted that was on a much earlier version of Oracle (6.0.x).

Dick Goulet
Senior Oracle DBA
Oracle Certified 8i DBA
Author: Sashidhar Kondareddy
  INET: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

to: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing).

Author: Goulet, Dick
  INET: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

to: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Hemant K Chitale
Oracle 9i Database Administrator Certified Professional My personal web site is : http://hkchital.tripod.com

Author: Hemant K Chitale
 INET: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

to: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Mon Jun 09 2003 - 09:49:46 CDT