Re: Re[2]: performance questions

From: Mark Richard <mrichard_at_transurban.com.au>
Date: Thu, 05 Jun 2003 16:30:57 -0700

Jonathan,

Your comment "this is probably harder than it sounds" should be reworded to "this IS harder than it sounds". I've been involved in these bumfights before and they are never pleasant, especially when a contract of significant question is on the line (like a $3m / month performance bonus).

A simple example of re-negotiation is a batch system (system A) dependent on data from another system (system B). If the SLA says "system A will be available by 7:00am each day" and system B starts delivering the data at 2:00am instead of midnight, then system A might try to renegotiate for a new deadline. Of course in reality the response will be "I don't care, you just be complete by 7:00am still".

I think most times this point relates to an SLA which wasn't written correctly and needs to be updated. Say the SLA had a token query which must execute from a clients desktop and return within 2 seconds. Initially the ping time between desktop and host was 20ms but something changed and the ping is now 200ms. Add in a few round trips and suddenly you've eaten away the 2 seconds regardless of query execution time. Did the original SLA have a clause about ping time in it? If not it probably should have, but since we are only human it's easy to forget. Of course the real trick is to prove the degradation in network performance - who would ever keep ping stats?

Alternatively an SLA might be based on a customer-base of 10,000 customers and a company acquisition might mean the customer base will grow to 100,000 customers - this might trigger SLA re-negotiation depending on the wording of the SLA and the generousity of the company. It would be nice to think that companies would be reasonable in this circumstance but sometimes it's a battle. I guess an intra-company SLA (where no money is typically on the line) is easier to manage that one with a financial price attached.

Anyway I'll stop now - I think this has reached OT status for the Oracle list and I'm not really the most qualified person to speak about this. I'm just the guy who has had to "prove it wasn't our fault".

Regards,

      Mark.

                      Jonathan Gennick

                      <[EMAIL PROTECTED]        To:       Multiple recipients of list
ORACLE-L <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
                      .com>                    cc:

                      Sent by:                 Subject:  Re[2]: performance questions

                      [EMAIL PROTECTED]

                      05/06/2003 05:35

                      Please respond to

                      ORACLE-L

Tuesday, June 3, 2003, 10:59:42 PM, you wrote: MR> 3) If the company has done something which makes it impossible for the MR> service provider to maintain the SLA then re-negotiation is required.

This is probably harder than it sounds. How does the service-provider prove that the client has done something that makes it impossible for the service-provider to maintain the SLA?

Best regards,

Jonathan Gennick --- Brighten the corner where you are http://Gennick.com * 906.387.1698 * mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Join the Oracle-article list and receive one article on Oracle technologies per month by email. To join, visit
http://four.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/oracle-article, or send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] and
include the word "subscribe" in either the subject or body.

Author: Jonathan Gennick
  INET: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Privileged/Confidential information may be contained in this message. If you are not the addressee indicated in this message (or responsible for delivery of the message to such person), you may not copy or deliver this message to anyone. In such case, you should destroy this message and kindly notify the sender by reply e-mail or by telephone on (61 3) 9612-6999. Please advise immediately if you or your employer does not consent to Internet e-mail for messages of this kind. Opinions, conclusions and other information in this message that do not relate to the official business of Transurban City Link Ltd shall be understood as neither given nor endorsed by it. <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<---->>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> -- Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ: http://www.orafaq.net -- Author: Mark Richard INET: [EMAIL PROTECTED] Fat City Network Services -- 858-538-5051 http://www.fatcity.com San Diego, California -- Mailing list and web hosting services --------------------------------------------------------------------- To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing).