oraInst.loc question

From: Rich Holland <holland_at_guidancetech.com>
Date: Thu, 05 Jun 2003 03:26:40 -0700

I have two Oracle installations on the same host. Between installs I updated /etc/oraInst.loc and /var/opt/oracle/oraInst.loc accordingly so that I have two inventory directoies, one per installation.

My question is that /etc/oratab has a facility for multiple installations via '<SID>:<$ORACLE_HOME path>:N' entries, but the oraInst.loc appears to be for a single installation.

Now in order to apply patches and such, I have to modify
/etc/oraInst.loc every time (it appears Opatch is ignoring the
/var/opt/oracle version).

Has anyone found an easy way to use multiple oraInst.loc files or to use a single oraInst.loc file for multiple inventories? I'm strongly considering hiding opatch and replacing it with a wrapper script that rewrites the oraInst.loc files prior to calling the 'real' opatch executable, but thought I'd see if there's an easier way first. :-)

Thanks!
Rich Holland
SAP Technical Consultant
Guidance Technologies, Inc.