RE: Good technical documents/references on tuning restores

From: April Wells <awells_at_csedge.com>
Date: Thu, 05 Jun 2003 02:51:03 -0700

<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" color=#0000ff
size=2>I had that problem in a 9.2.0.3 AIX4.3.3 to AIX 5L upgrade... missing with really weird names... if you look at your tablespace sizes, the ones that are 0 bytes are the ones that have the missing files.  If you can figure out what files go with those tablespaces, shutdown the database, "fix" the create control file script so those files are in it (if those tablespaces and files are still valid in the database)... and startup nomount and run the script again... it will tell you that you have those datafiles needing media recovery.
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" color=#0000ff
size=2>
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" color=#0000ff
size=2>recover datafile '<fully qualified datafile name>'
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" color=#0000ff
size=2>
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" color=#0000ff
size=2>If the tablespaces and files aren't valid anymore, you can offline drop them and they won't be in the data dictionary OR in the control file...

<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" color=#0000ff
size=2>

April Wells <FONT

face="Comic Sans MS" size=2>Oracle DBA/Oracle Apps DBA <FONT
face="Comic Sans MS" size=2>Corporate Systems <FONT
face="Comic Sans MS" size=2>Amarillo Texas
You will recognize your own path when you come upon it, because you will suddenly have all the energy and imagination you will ever need.
~ Jerry Gillies ~

  <FONT face=Tahoma
  size=2>-----Original Message-----From: Ruth Gramolini   [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]Sent: Wednesday, June 04, 2003   11:05 AMTo: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-LSubject:   Re: Good technical documents/references on tuning restores
  Paula,
  Have you tried backing up your controlfile to   trace, editing the trace file to get rid of the unwanted datafiles, and   reopening the database with the new edited controlfile?  That should get   rid of them.  Of course, to a backup immediately after this.
  Good luck,
  Ruth
  <BLOCKQUOTE dir=ltr

    Sent: Wednesday, June 04, 2003 10:09     AM
    Subject: RE: Good technical
    documents/references on tuning restores

    <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
    size=2>Paula,
    <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
    size=2>
    <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
    size=2>IIRC 'MISSING' means it is in the data dictionary, but not the     control file. I've gotten that before, but haven't played that game in a     while. You might be able to 'DROP' them, but I'm not sure. Check that first     on a mini-test system.
    <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
    size=2>
    <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
    size=2>Henry

      <FONT face=Tahoma
      size=2>-----Original Message-----From: <A
      href="mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]">[EMAIL PROTECTED]
      [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]On Behalf Of
      [EMAIL PROTECTED]Sent: Tuesday, June 03, 2003
      11:05 PMTo: Multiple recipients of list
      ORACLE-LSubject: RE: Good technical documents/references on
      tuning restores
      <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
      size=2>Okay,
      <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
      size=2>
      <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
      size=2>Database open and I wanted to not restore and not reference certain
      index and materia. view datafiles.  Now the datafiles show up with
      weird MISSING...... names.  How do I clean this
      up?
      <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
      size=2>
      <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
      size=2>Thanks,
      <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
      size=2>paula

        <FONT face=Tahoma
        size=2>-----Original Message-----From:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]
        [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]Sent: Tuesday, June 03,
        2003 10:20 PMTo: Multiple recipients of list
        ORACLE-LSubject: RE: Good technical documents/references on
        tuning restores
        Strange:
        looking at v$backup_async_io found some datafiles
        where         <FONT
        size=2>active bytes per sec
                long-waits <FONT
        size=2>
        2154608

                297

        7489829

                297
        How can I start finding the disparity?
        -----Original Message----- From:
        Stankus, Paula G Sent: Tuesday, June 03, 2003
        9:05 PM To: Stankus, Paula G;
        '[EMAIL PROTECTED]' Subject: RE: Good
        technical documents/references on tuning restores
        Did I say that throughout this restore/recovery process
        my tapes being mounted and unmounted while other database backups and
        cloning was occurring.  Big duh - this has got to be slowing down
        the process.  Any ideas on how to handle this?  Perhaps more
        than one tape subsystem would be better or while doing restores other
        backup utility is halted - hmmm - but that risks those other
        systems?  How can I sell that?  Hmmmm.  Maybe I will
        first backup to disk.  Yep, one backup to disk.
        Yep.....
        -----Original Message----- From:
        Stankus, Paula G Sent: Tuesday, June 03, 2003
        9:00 PM To: Stankus, Paula G;
        '[EMAIL PROTECTED]' Subject: RE: Good
        technical documents/references on tuning restores
        See nwadmin shows parellism = 32.  I am not the
        tape person - that is my sys admin.  I don't believe they actually
        have 32 tapes involved only 4.  Can this impact performance by
        setting this too high?  I also notice one backup server for
        networker with nwadmin messages like "clone sets being created...",
        "other databases being backed up".  What is the usual policy on
        concurrently running backups, cloning at the same time recovery is
        taking place.  It appears to show a lot of media waiting
        events:  waiting for dlt7000 tape ... of the tapes that I
        specifically need for this restore.  Did I say:  I love my
        admin...I love my admin....I love my admin...
        -----Original Message----- From:
        Stankus, Paula G Sent: Tuesday, June 03, 2003
        8:53 PM To: Stankus, Paula G;
        '[EMAIL PROTECTED]' Subject: RE: Good
        technical documents/references on tuning restores
        Okay, almost 4 minutes for a datafile that was 78168
        blocks - how do I know if this is reasonable?
        Also, seems to write these files out (restore sychron.)
        why can't it restore different datafiles in parallel?  - stupid
        question huh?
        -----Original Message----- From:
        Stankus, Paula G Sent: Tuesday, June 03, 2003
        8:46 PM To: Stankus, Paula G;
        '[EMAIL PROTECTED]' Subject: RE: Good
        technical documents/references on tuning restores
        SELECT SID, SERIAL#,
        CONTEXT,
         ROUND(SOFAR/TOTALWORK*100,2) "%
        complete",
        SUBSTR(TO_CHAR(SYSDATE,'HH24:MI:SS'),1,15) "Time
        now"    FROM
        V$SESSION_LONGOPS
        WHERE OPNAME like
        '%restore%';
        <FONT
        size=2>.
        showed all 100% complete but msglog from RMAN
        shows it is truly still running.
        -----Original Message----- From:
        Stankus, Paula G Sent: Tuesday, June 03, 2003
        8:40 PM To: Stankus, Paula G;
        '[EMAIL PROTECTED]' Subject: RE: Good
        technical documents/references on tuning restores
        Also found on monitoring performance of RMAN
        jobs: Note:144640.1 on Metalink
        -----Original Message----- From:
        Stankus, Paula G Sent: Tuesday, June 03, 2003
        8:36 PM To: Stankus, Paula G;
        '[EMAIL PROTECTED]' Subject: RE: Good
        technical documents/references on tuning restores
        Found this white paper:
        <A target=_blank
        href="http://otn.oracle.com/deploy/availability/pdf/rman_performance_wp.pdf">http://otn.oracle.com/deploy/availability/pdf/rman_performance_wp.pdf

        Anything better?
        -----Original Message----- From:
        Stankus, Paula G Sent: Tuesday, June 03, 2003
        8:33 PM To: Stankus, Paula G;
        '[EMAIL PROTECTED]' Subject: RE: Good
        technical documents/references on tuning restores
        This is what I have set on my target database:

        ----------------------------------- -------
        ------------------- <FONT
        size=2>backup_tape_io_slaves
        boolean
        FALSE
        <FONT
        size=2>tape_asynch_io
        boolean
        TRUE

        Version 8.1.7.4 database and RMAN catalog - 32
        bit Networker MML Using
        RAID 1+0 Solaris 2.8
        -----Original Message----- From:
        Stankus, Paula G Sent: Tuesday, June 03, 2003
        8:28 PM To: Stankus, Paula G;
        '[EMAIL PROTECTED]' Subject: RE: Good
        technical documents/references on tuning restores
        Okay - from my reading you don't need to have multiple
        tape io slaves if you are using asynch. I/O.  Again, best document
        for perf. tuning database restores using RMAN would make mucho
        difference.  Read old note about someone doing an analyze on the
        RMAN catalog tables to improve performance of restore.  I think it
        has something to do with how quickly it finds the file on tape and
        writes to disk.
        -----Original Message----- From:
        Stankus, Paula G Sent: Tuesday, June 03, 2003
        8:25 PM To: '[EMAIL PROTECTED]'
        Subject: RE: Good technical documents/references on
        tuning restores
        Seems to be taking awfully long to read files from tape
        and write to disk.  I allocate multiple tape channels like I do for
        the backup which only takes about 45 minutes.  Does not seem to be
        spawning multiple sessions.  Do I need to change parameters on my
        init.ora file to use multiple tape io slaves to see this. Anyway, would
        like notes/docs., references if you all have some.
        Thanks, Paula

The information contained in this communication, including attachments, is strictly confidential and for the intended use of the addressee only; it may also contain proprietary, price sensitive, or legally privileged information. Notice is hereby given that any disclosure, distribution, dissemination, use, or copying of the information by anyone other than the intended recipient is strictly prohibited and may be illegal. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail, delete this communication, and destroy all copies.

Corporate Systems, Inc. has taken reasonable precautions to ensure that any attachment to this e-mail has been swept for viruses. We specifically disclaim all liability and will accept no responsibility for any damage sustained as a result of software viruses and advise you to carry out your own virus checks before opening any attachment. Received on Thu Jun 05 2003 - 04:51:03 CDT