RE: Good technical documents/references on tuning restores

From: Clarkson, Timothy T SEOP-OEIRH/1 <Timothy.Clarkson_at_shell.com>
Date: Thu, 05 Jun 2003 01:24:32 -0700

I had
this problem yesterday.  not sure if what I did is correct but it seemed to work for me.
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff

size=2>
1)
Create another tablespace (TEST)
2)
move the objects from the tablespace that has the missing files into TEST tablespace
<FONT

face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2>    select DISTINCT TABLESPACE_NAME from dba_extents where file_id in

(select File# from v$datafile where status = 'RECOVER')
<FONT

face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2>
you
might have some problems with items that resided on the missing datafile, in my case it was only indexes so I recreated them from the schema on the new tablespace.

<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff

size=2>    select DISTINCT SEGMENT_NAME, SEGMENT_TYPE, TABLESPACE_NAME from dba_extents where file_id in

(select File# from v$datafile where status = 'RECOVER')
3)
drop the tablespace with missing datafiles 4)
move back the objects to the original tablespace
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff

size=2>
This
cleared up the mess in the v$datafile.  I did this because I was under the impression that you cannot delete a datafile once it has been assigned to tablespace.
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff

size=2>
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff

size=2>
Have
not got around to missing the missing file in the TEMP space yet, as it is a test database will do that later.
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff

size=2>
Hope
this helps, I am sure someone will post a better answer soon :-)
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff

size=2>
Tim
Clarkson

  <FONT face=Tahoma
  size=2>-----Original Message----<FONT   face=Arial color=#0000ff> From: Henry Poras   [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]Sent: Wednesday, June 04, 2003 3:10   PMTo: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-LSubject: RE:   Good technical documents/references on tuning restores   <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
  size=2>Paula,
  <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
  size=2>
  IIRC
  'MISSING' means it is in the data dictionary, but not the control file. I've   gotten that before, but haven't played that game in a while. You might be able   to 'DROP' them, but I'm not sure. Check that first on a mini-test   system.
  <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
  size=2>
  <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
  size=2>Henry

    <FONT face=Tahoma
    size=2>-----Original Message-----From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]     [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]On Behalf Of     [EMAIL PROTECTED]Sent: Tuesday, June 03, 2003     11:05 PMTo: Multiple recipients of list     ORACLE-LSubject: RE: Good technical documents/references on     tuning restores
    <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
    size=2>Okay,
    <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
    size=2>
    <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
    size=2>Database open and I wanted to not restore and not reference certain     index and materia. view datafiles.  Now the datafiles show up with     weird MISSING...... names.  How do I clean this up?     <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
    size=2>
    <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
    size=2>Thanks,
    <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
    size=2>paula

      <FONT face=Tahoma
      size=2>-----Original Message-----From:
      [EMAIL PROTECTED]
      [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]Sent: Tuesday, June 03,
      2003 10:20 PMTo: Multiple recipients of list
      ORACLE-LSubject: RE: Good technical documents/references on
      tuning restores
      Strange:
      looking at v$backup_async_io found some datafiles
      where         <FONT
      size=2>active bytes per sec
              long-waits <FONT
      size=2>
      2154608

              297

      7489829

              297
      How can I start finding the disparity?
      -----Original Message----- From:
      Stankus, Paula G Sent: Tuesday, June 03, 2003 9:05
      PM To: Stankus, Paula G;
      '[EMAIL PROTECTED]' Subject: RE: Good technical
      documents/references on tuning restores
      Did I say that throughout this restore/recovery process my
      tapes being mounted and unmounted while other database backups and cloning
      was occurring.  Big duh - this has got to be slowing down the
      process.  Any ideas on how to handle this?  Perhaps more than
      one tape subsystem would be better or while doing restores other backup
      utility is halted - hmmm - but that risks those other systems?  How
      can I sell that?  Hmmmm.  Maybe I will first backup to
      disk.  Yep, one backup to disk.  Yep.....
      -----Original Message----- From:
      Stankus, Paula G Sent: Tuesday, June 03, 2003 9:00
      PM To: Stankus, Paula G;
      '[EMAIL PROTECTED]' Subject: RE: Good technical
      documents/references on tuning restores
      See nwadmin shows parellism = 32.  I am not the tape
      person - that is my sys admin.  I don't believe they actually have 32
      tapes involved only 4.  Can this impact performance by setting this
      too high?  I also notice one backup server for networker with nwadmin
      messages like "clone sets being created...", "other databases being backed
      up".  What is the usual policy on concurrently running backups,
      cloning at the same time recovery is taking place.  It appears to
      show a lot of media waiting events:  waiting for dlt7000 tape ... of
      the tapes that I specifically need for this restore.  Did I
      say:  I love my admin...I love my admin....I love my
      admin...
      -----Original Message----- From:
      Stankus, Paula G Sent: Tuesday, June 03, 2003 8:53
      PM To: Stankus, Paula G;
      '[EMAIL PROTECTED]' Subject: RE: Good technical
      documents/references on tuning restores
      Okay, almost 4 minutes for a datafile that was 78168
      blocks - how do I know if this is reasonable?
      Also, seems to write these files out (restore sychron.)
      why can't it restore different datafiles in parallel?  - stupid
      question huh?
      -----Original Message----- From:
      Stankus, Paula G Sent: Tuesday, June 03, 2003 8:46
      PM To: Stankus, Paula G;
      '[EMAIL PROTECTED]' Subject: RE: Good technical
      documents/references on tuning restores
      SELECT SID, SERIAL#,
      CONTEXT,
       ROUND(SOFAR/TOTALWORK*100,2) "%
      complete",
      SUBSTR(TO_CHAR(SYSDATE,'HH24:MI:SS'),1,15) "Time
      now"    FROM
      V$SESSION_LONGOPS
      WHERE OPNAME like
      '%restore%';
      <FONT
      size=2>.
      showed all 100% complete but msglog from RMAN
      shows it is truly still running.
      -----Original Message----- From:
      Stankus, Paula G Sent: Tuesday, June 03, 2003 8:40
      PM To: Stankus, Paula G;
      '[EMAIL PROTECTED]' Subject: RE: Good technical
      documents/references on tuning restores
      Also found on monitoring performance of RMAN jobs:
      Note:144640.1 on Metalink
      -----Original Message----- From:
      Stankus, Paula G Sent: Tuesday, June 03, 2003 8:36
      PM To: Stankus, Paula G;
      '[EMAIL PROTECTED]' Subject: RE: Good technical
      documents/references on tuning restores
      Found this white paper:
      <A
      href="http://otn.oracle.com/deploy/availability/pdf/rman_performance_wp.pdf"
      target=_blank>http://otn.oracle.com/deploy/availability/pdf/rman_performance_wp.pdf

      Anything better?
      -----Original Message----- From:
      Stankus, Paula G Sent: Tuesday, June 03, 2003 8:33
      PM To: Stankus, Paula G;
      '[EMAIL PROTECTED]' Subject: RE: Good technical
      documents/references on tuning restores
      This is what I have set on my target database:
      ----------------------------------- -------
      ------------------- <FONT
      size=2>backup_tape_io_slaves
      boolean
      FALSE
      <FONT
      size=2>tape_asynch_io
      boolean
      TRUE

      Version 8.1.7.4 database and RMAN catalog - 32 bit
      Networker MML Using RAID
      1+0 Solaris 2.8
      -----Original Message----- From:
      Stankus, Paula G Sent: Tuesday, June 03, 2003 8:28
      PM To: Stankus, Paula G;
      '[EMAIL PROTECTED]' Subject: RE: Good technical
      documents/references on tuning restores
      Okay - from my reading you don't need to have multiple
      tape io slaves if you are using asynch. I/O.  Again, best document
      for perf. tuning database restores using RMAN would make mucho
      difference.  Read old note about someone doing an analyze on the RMAN
      catalog tables to improve performance of restore.  I think it has
      something to do with how quickly it finds the file on tape and writes to
      disk.
      -----Original Message----- From:
      Stankus, Paula G Sent: Tuesday, June 03, 2003 8:25
      PM To: '[EMAIL PROTECTED]' <FONT
      size=2>Subject: RE: Good technical documents/references on tuning
      restores
      Seems to be taking awfully long to read files from tape
      and write to disk.  I allocate multiple tape channels like I do for
      the backup which only takes about 45 minutes.  Does not seem to be
      spawning multiple sessions.  Do I need to change parameters on my
      init.ora file to use multiple tape io slaves to see this. Anyway, would
      like notes/docs., references if you all have some.
      Thanks, Paula