RE: Benchmarking of ASP.NET with Oracle v/s MSSQL

From: Kevin Toepke <ktoepke_at_rlcarriers.com>
Date: Thu, 05 Jun 2003 09:54:48 -0800

I haven't done any formal benchmarking, but I've modified an ASP.NET app to connect to both MSSQL and Oracle. What I did was convert a couple routines that were getting employee information from the MSSQL database to get the same employee information from the master Oracle Apps database.

What I found is that initiating the connection is slightly different. Outside of that I've noticed no difference what-so-ever in the coding. Some of the sql ran unchanged against Oracle.

That said, the app only selects from Oracle and does both select/updates against MSSQL and does not use bind variables.

Oracle and MSSQL handle bind variables differently. MSSQL uses "?" to specify a bind variable and Oracle uses the :name and :# notations.

There are some code samples on OTN that you/your developers can review. Look for the ODP.NET sample code off the OTN homepage.

HTH
Kevin

Author: Niall Litchfield
  INET: niall.litchfield_at_dial.pipex.com

<http://www.fatcity.com>

Author: Kevin Toepke
  INET: ktoepke_at_rlcarriers.com