RE: Those installing Oracle 9i on AIX 5.2L

From: Jamadagni, Rajendra <Rajendra.Jamadagni_at_espn.com>
Date: Thu, 05 Jun 2003 05:25:04 -0800

April,

and you thought you were alone ... on our most production systems, we have everything that we need. But when we talk about the machines in the DMZ
(outside the firewall), The security group sometimes goes overboard. Once we
had to put a new oracle install on a new machine. We have an identical machine inside the firewall. We do our build there, tar,gzip,scp,gunzip,untar are the steps.

So when we requested the access (with certain steps be done by root), we got everything, except

1. the ip for the machine
2. Firewall post for the machine
3. no user account on the machine for oracle owner

Security rocks ... eventually we gave them a detailed list and everything got fixed in an hour. We still laugh at it at times ...

Raj

Rajendra dot Jamadagni at nospamespn dot com All Views expressed in this email are strictly personal. QOTD: Any clod can have facts, having an opinion is an art !

April Wells <awells_at_csedge.com> wrote:

We don't GET access to man pages here... they take up too much space... so does the C compiler.

April Wells
Oracle DBA/Oracle Apps DBA
Corporate Systems
Amarillo Texas