RE: ??? Linux/Oracle 8.1.7 2GB file size limit ???

From: Matthew Zito <mzito_at_gridapp.com>
Date: Wed, 04 Jun 2003 09:56:49 -0800

It's a combo problem between oracle and linux. When Linux first implemented largefile support, many of the traditional linux apps were not aware of the concept of >2GB files and were using 32-bit offsets for file pointer storage. So, as a workaround, 32- and 64-bit versions of the various file operation calls were made to specify whether a 32-bit or 64-bit offset should be returned, as well as specifying a flag O_LARGEFILE that could be sent to the traditional open() that indicated the application was largefile aware. When an application is compiled, you can specify to the compiler that you want it to be 64-bit aware and the 64-bit versions of things like open and seek will be used, or the code can use the O_LARGEFILE flag in open(). The end result of this is that while linux is >2GB aware, oracle 8.1.7 is not quite entirely. I bet that the chunk of code that opens a datafile for traditional access in 8.1.7 is 64-bit aware, while the code that grows the file is not.

Thanks,
Matt

--
Matthew Zito
GridApp Systems

-- Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ: http://www.orafaq.net -- Author: Matthew Zito INET: mzito_at_gridapp.com Fat City Network Services -- 858-538-5051 http://www.fatcity.com San Diego, California -- Mailing list and web hosting services --------------------------------------------------------------------- To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing).