RE: performance questions

From: Mark Richard <mrichard_at_transurban.com.au>
Date: Tue, 03 Jun 2003 15:24:41 -0800

I agree totally... Adding more databases to a server doesn't invalidate a negotiated SLA. If you can't meet the SLA then someone has a problem. Perhaps tuning is required, perhaps more hardware is required, perhaps the SLA is wrong and can be renegotiated. The issue revolves more around defining the SLA carefully and defining how to resolve an SLA which is not being met.

If, for example, the networking guys destroy a routing table and your performance falls through the floor then the DBA shouldn't be totally responsible. The DBA might help to diagnose the problem though.

Personally I think the best way is to keep the SLA's at a high level when possible, such as "user can search for customer within 5 seconds". The SLA is realistic - it has a direct impact on someone's ability to perform their work, it is measurable - search for a customer, and several things can be done to help meet the SLA - add hardware, tune, modify network config, purge old data, etc.

Regards,

      Mark.

                      DENNIS WILLIAMS
                      <DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETO        To:       Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
                      UCH.COM>                 cc:
                      Sent by:                 Subject:  RE: performance questions
                      root_at_fatcity.com

                      04/06/2003 01:24
                      Please respond to
                      ORACLE-L

Sai - I think the whole point is to open this up for discussion / negotiation. My suggestion would be to agree with the business users on a "typical" query and the response time they expect. Ideally response time is measured at the user's terminal. But if necessary just for the database, you
might get agreement on a typical query and the response time.

    As far as adding more stuff to the server, that is the whole point. If you can add more stuff and the SLA is maintained, great! Everybody's happy. But if you add users/instances/etc., and the SLA suffers, now you have a discussion point for the users. Either somebody can buy another server, or somebody can agree to a higher SLA, etc. The point is that you're talking, getting issues aired, rather than you guys saying @#$% users and the users saying @#$% DBAs.

Dennis Williams
DBA, 80%OCP, 100% DBA
Lifetouch, Inc.
dwilliams_at_lifetouch.com

Author: DENNIS WILLIAMS
  INET: DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM

Privileged/Confidential information may be contained in this message. If you are not the addressee indicated in this message (or responsible for delivery of the message to such person), you may not copy or deliver this message to anyone. In such case, you should destroy this message and kindly notify the sender by reply e-mail or by telephone on (61 3) 9612-6999. Please advise immediately if you or your employer does not consent to Internet e-mail for messages of this kind. Opinions, conclusions and other information in this message that do not relate to the official business of Transurban City Link Ltd shall be understood as neither given nor endorsed by it. <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<---->>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> -- Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ: http://www.orafaq.net -- Author: Mark Richard INET: mrichard_at_transurban.com.au Fat City Network Services -- 858-538-5051 http://www.fatcity.com San Diego, California -- Mailing list and web hosting services --------------------------------------------------------------------- To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing).