Re: Unix host name change - what happens to db?

From: Ron Rogers <RROGERS_at_galottery.org>
Date: Tue, 03 Jun 2003 09:20:37 -0800

Carmen,
 Basically it will not effect you directly. The listner,tnsnames, other files use a name that is in the host file. As long as the ip address doesn't change then they don't care what you call it. It can be a trouble shooting nightmare if you don't bring the files up to date but that is the only effect I can see. The tnsnames alias can be bigbox-tcp pointing to the ORCL sid on the sun12345 server. The host file has sun12345 as 123.123.123.123. The server 123.123.123.123 can be called anything as long as the ORCL sid resides on it. Ron

>>> carmen.rusu_at_rrc.state.tx.us 06/03/03 11:24AM >>>

My boss has decided to change the name of the Sun OS 2.8 host of my Oracle 8i databases.

Question: how does this name change affect my Oracle software installation and my databases?

Has this happened to any of you?

Thanks,

Carmen Rusu

Author: Ron Rogers