RE: Unix host name change - what happens to db?

From: Sarnowski, Chris <csarnows_at_CuraGen.com>
Date: Tue, 03 Jun 2003 08:49:58 -0800

We've juggled names several times here. The tricky part is network connections to the database. You need to make sure that tnsnames.ora files point to the right server. Also, if people are using database connections in other programs (e.g. perl, Pro*C, java, python) they need to make sure they are pointing to the right place. We originally set up our system to either connect to the local database or to specify the server name. When we moved the db to a dedicated server, we had to search around to ferret out all the hardcoded values and replace them with more stable names. We actually wrote an API for each language so programs could grab a connection without having to know anything about server names.

Once this is done, the only thing to change is the tnsnames.ora files, and subsequent changes are much easier.

To answer your specific questions, it shouldn't have any effect on your installation, except the listener/network configuration files.

Author: Sarnowski, Chris
  INET: csarnows_at_CuraGen.com

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Tue Jun 03 2003 - 11:49:58 CDT