Re: Re: question about large pool

From: Jared Still <jkstill_at_cybcon.com>
Date: Tue, 03 Jun 2003 07:19:40 -0800

Not sure what you mean by "I/O points".

Whether or not multiple DB writer will be of benefit to you depends on a couple things.

First of all, can you use async IO? I don't see any mention of what platform you are on. If you're using Windoze, it is async IO by default.

Async IO is generally a better choice, and there is then no need for multiple DB writers.

If aync is not used, then can use multiple DB writers. The number of IO cards is not directly related to whether multiple DB writers should be used, but rather, what is the bandwidth of the IO system.

If you have 5 filesystems, each with a max throughput of 100 IO's per second, and your IO card has a throughput of 500 IO's per second, your system will underperform during periods of heavy activity if only 1 DB writer is available.

I seem to recall Oracle docs saying that up to 2 DB writers per filesystem as a max value. This of course depends on your CPU and memory constraints as well.

If I had my 'Oracle Tuning 101' from Gaja and Kirti in front of me, I would just quote from it, but it is unfortunately at work, and I'm not.

Just do a little homework, say 'yes boss', and do what's best.

And of course, just use async if possible, it's a lot easier.

HTH Jared

Author: Jared Still
  INET: jkstill_at_cybcon.com