RE: Need help

From: Jankovic, Djordje <>
Date: Mon, 02 Jun 2003 10:34:40 -0800

I have done some test before and found out that analyze is faster than dbms_stats for smaller tables only (less than 10M) - and the difference was not that big (for example very small tables dbms_stats would do a compute instead of estimate). For large tables they are pretty much the same. And this is comparing dbms_stats working in serial mode. You can do stuff in parallel which could change the picture in dbms_stats favor.

dbms_stats is more accurate (since its introduction incorrect statistics gathering was discovered for ANALYZE), it supports better granularity control (partitions, subpartitions). Using dbms_stats you can also export and import statistics: save the old statistics before the run and reuse the old statistics in case you don't like the new ones.

There are a number of other advantages: treating stale tables, automatic estimate sample size, collecting histogram info only for skewed columns (at least the ones that oracle thinks are skewed). Using dbms_stats you can also collect system stats.

And analyze is not depreciated in 9i.

AFAIK the only things dbms_stats does not do are: finding chained/migrated rows, computing cluster statistics, and validating the structure.

Author: Jankovic, Djordje

Fat City Network Services    -- 858-538-5051
To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Mon Jun 02 2003 - 13:34:40 CDT

Original text of this message